Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
My father just purchased 4 Airtags.

The fist one they setup for him at the store.
He tried to setup one on his own but got stuck half way through the install and didnt complete the setup.
I successfully setup the remaining two AirTags on his phone.

I couldnt get the one he tried to partially setup to start the pairing process even after removing the battery so I did a reset by removing the battery 4 times. After resetting it I did get the pairing dialog, but after going through the setup and naming it and assigning it an icon I get a message that the tag is paired with a different Apple ID.

I checked his phone and my phone but dont see the tag listed.
How do i figure out what it is pared to, or even better totally reset it, so I can pair it with his appleID?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The AirTags have an NFC chip in them. Tap and hold the AirTag to the top of your phone to read the tag. A notification should appear. Tap that to go to a website showing more details of the AirTag. It should show who the owner is (partially masked out).

Do you recognize the owner? If not, there's nothing you can do about it. The owner would need to remove it from their account. Sounds like someone else may have bought these, paired it, and returned it without unpairing it first. If that's the case, try to see if you can return/exchange these (and be sure to unpair the three you've already done).

Reactions: Slartibart

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
The AirTags have an NFC chip in them. Tap and hold the AirTag to the top of your phone to read the tag. A notification should appear. Tap that to go to a website showing more details of the AirTag. It should show who the owner is (partially masked out).

Do you recognize the owner? If not, there's nothing you can do about it. The owner would need to remove it from their account. Sounds like someone else may have bought these, paired it, and returned it without unpairing it first. If that's the case, try to see if you can return/exchange these (and be sure to unpair the three you've already done).
Thanks,

Got it sorted.
Somehow it linked to my moms phone.

Removed it from her account and added it to my father's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.