Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Re: Alienware 51M

Originally posted by gello2424
I bought this s*** hot Alienware computer!
3.06 P4 Processor
1 GB Ram
80 GB HD
ATI 9000 128MB!! Video Card
DVD-ROM
CD-RW/DVD
Built in wireless
and also paid the 300 bucks for the special paint job.

paid my 3600 bucks waited a month for shippment. Got home was all ready to go.
Turned this baby on installed a game said WOW! this thing kicks A**. I played my game about 10 min. HAD to TURN IT OFF!!

Total WOW factor 25 min.....that is how long the darn batt. lasted LOL

Reached over grabbed my 17in Powerbook played my game that I could not finish on my new laptop and there it sits 3600 bucks in the cool black Alienware box that it came in don't get me wrong this thing does kick a** for about 30 min!!!

OK...... Maybe you should call alienware and get them to replace the battery, or get this...... Plug it in.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Alienware 51M

Originally posted by Capt Underpants
OK...... Maybe you should call alienware and get them to replace the battery, or get this...... Plug it in.
replace the battery.......thats how long it lasts, there is nothing wrong with it. and who wants to plug in their computer every 25 minutes. i still get annoyed plugging mine in every 4 hours. you should read cnets review of that alienware, they said they couldnt do the battery test because it wouldnt last long enough to complete, they barely made it by with 2.

iJon

FusionMachine

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2003
Forget Alienware...

I was in the same situation as you...wait for the updated PBs, or wait (hopefully less) for the Alienware Sentia. As someone who needed a laptop fairly soon (for college) I decided that it wasn't in my best interests to wait for either product, since even after the product was announced, it typically would take a few weeks for shipping quantities to be available. That meant sticking with Windows (and believe me, I really wanted to switch). Feeling backed into something I didn't want to do, I did some more research and found a company called VooDoo PC (http://www.voodoopc.com). Like Alienware, they make gaming PCs, but theirs are far more custom, and they'll work to tune Windows exactly how you want it. They claim to bring a high level of performance and stability out of Windows. I was convinced enough to buy their M355 laptop. It's got a 1.5 gHz Pentium M, full Centrino package, 1GB DDR RAM, 15" screen, and an automotive paint job that should rival the appearance and coolness factor of a Powerbook. It's just over an inch thick and should weigh about 5.5 pounds. Unfortunately, between the time spent tuning Windows (and the hardware) and applying multiple coats of paint to the case, my build time is about a month, but it's still way more certain than the PBs, and even the Sentia isn't in complete production yet. If you want to stick with Windows, I'd suggest you check out Voodoo.

Oh, and before I get flamed for advertising Voodoo here, let me state for the record that I wanted a Powerbook sooooooo badly. It's just that the current updates have taken so long that now they're nothing more than a stopgap until the G5 PBs come along. It's simply not a good time to buy an Apple laptop, and I needed to buy now. Rest assured that 4 years from now i'll be looking into the G6 PowerBook.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
some other alternatives

There are other alternatives such as Linux based laptops. Polywell makes a couple of very nice laptops with a 14" SVGA screen and Centrino etc. The great thing is that it only weight 4.75 lbs. Oh and you can get linux on it if you want. Also:
http://www.powernotebook.com
http://www.emperorlinux.com
This is a great way to get an affordable laptop with no windows.

I know that this is a Mac forum but I agree with a previous contribuor about using smaller computer distributors.

just my .02$

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Forget Alienware...

Originally posted by FusionMachine
I was in the same situation as you...wait for the updated PBs, or wait (hopefully less) for the Alienware Sentia. As someone who needed a laptop fairly soon (for college) I decided that it wasn't in my best interests to wait for either product, since even after the product was announced, it typically would take a few weeks for shipping quantities to be available. That meant sticking with Windows (and believe me, I really wanted to switch). Feeling backed into something I didn't want to do, I did some more research and found a company called VooDoo PC (http://www.voodoopc.com). Like Alienware, they make gaming PCs, but theirs are far more custom, and they'll work to tune Windows exactly how you want it. They claim to bring a high level of performance and stability out of Windows. I was convinced enough to buy their M355 laptop. It's got a 1.5 gHz Pentium M, full Centrino package, 1GB DDR RAM, 15" screen, and an automotive paint job that should rival the appearance and coolness factor of a Powerbook. It's just over an inch thick and should weigh about 5.5 pounds. Unfortunately, between the time spent tuning Windows (and the hardware) and applying multiple coats of paint to the case, my build time is about a month, but it's still way more certain than the PBs, and even the Sentia isn't in complete production yet. If you want to stick with Windows, I'd suggest you check out Voodoo.

Oh, and before I get flamed for advertising Voodoo here, let me state for the record that I wanted a Powerbook sooooooo badly. It's just that the current updates have taken so long that now they're nothing more than a stopgap until the G5 PBs come along. It's simply not a good time to buy an Apple laptop, and I needed to buy now. Rest assured that 4 years from now i'll be looking into the G6 PowerBook.
i couldnt agree more, i completly forgot about them. my friend just ordered one and they build it by hand exactly like you want. its like a little slave camp full of elves who build these things, and make them perfect.

iJon

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: Re: Re: Alienware 51M

Originally posted by iJon
replace the battery.......thats how long it lasts, there is nothing wrong with it. and who wants to plug in their computer every 25 minutes. i still get annoyed plugging mine in every 4 hours. you should read cnets review of that alienware, they said they couldnt do the battery test because it wouldnt last long enough to complete, they barely made it by with 2.

iJon
If you wanted a portable with long batterylife, why the **** did you buy a machine with a P4 prosessor? If you didn't do more research before you bought it you can only blame yourself.

P4 = Power and heat!
P4m = Power with speedstep technology.
P-m = Speed with battery!

That alienware with 1.7 P -m and 7200rpm HD and a ati gfx card will crush all the powerbooks when it comes to speed.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Alienware 51M

Originally posted by F/reW/re
If you wanted a portable with long batterylife, why the **** did you buy a machine with a P4 prosessor? If you didn't do more research before you bought it you can only blame yourself.

P4 = Power and heat!
P4m = Power with speedstep technology.
P-m = Speed with battery!

That alienware with 1.7 P -m and 7200rpm HD and a ati gfx card will crush all the powerbooks when it comes to speed.
My powerbook has a g4, not a p4 ;). that alienware may crush it in speed, but only for 30 minutes and when im not playing games it completly worthless to me.

iJon

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alienware 51M

My powerbook has a g4, not a p4 ;). that alienware may crush it in speed, but only for 30 minutes and when im not playing games it completly worthless to me.

iJon
You just don't get it...?

http://www.alienware.com/system_pag...51m_sentia.aspx
This is the computer this thread is about! It's not the computer you are reffering to! You cannot compare battery lifetime on a portable using P4 and P-M. Portables using Pentium -M have batterylifetime up to 5 hours + +

P4 is for people who wants POWER!
P-M is for people who wants power and battery.

P-M 1.7 GHz is as fast as a P4 2.8 / 2.6 GHz

Apple has only one option; power and battery.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alienware 51M

Originally posted by F/reW/re
You just don't get it...?

http://www.alienware.com/system_pag...51m_sentia.aspx
This is the computer this thread is about! It's not the computer you are reffering to! You cannot compare battery lifetime on a portable using P4 and P-M. Portables using Pentium -M have batterylifetime up to 5 hours + +

P4 is for people who wants POWER!
P-M is for people who wants power and battery.

P-M 1.7 GHz is as fast as a P4 2.8 / 2.6 GHz

Apple has only one option; power and battery.
i know that, im still trying to figure out what your saying, you sound like your mad asking me why i bought a p4 laptop when i never even owned one...

iJon

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alienware 51M

i know that, im still trying to figure out what your saying, you sound like your mad asking me why i bought a p4 laptop when i never even owned one...

iJon
Hehehehe :p, sorry, most likely just my bad english ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.