Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
At least I think this is new:

Great Ambience

Even when it’s sleeping, iMac thinks about what’s best for you. In low-light environments, a sensor detects the room’s ambient light and adjusts the sleep light to match — so you and your iMac can both catch some Zs.

From the design section of Apple's iMac page.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This has been around for a long time...Apple even refers to an early G5 model as the Ambient Light Sensor model.

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
^ That makes two of us... Kind of wish my Mini did something like this, because that little white dot of light can be really bright when the room is otherwise pitch black.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
FullmetalZ26 said:
^ That makes two of us... Kind of wish my Mini did something like this, because that little white dot of light can be really bright when the room is otherwise pitch black.

Try a piece of painters tape. Doesn't leave any residue.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I didnt know about it either.

And Lexus, i'm complaining about your sig, TOTALLY not fair!

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
FullmetalZ26 said:

Oh I'm not the only one then!

Noise never bothers me at night but light does and the standby light of my MBP drives me nuts. I have to stick something in front of it to hide it.

Small grumble but this iMac feature is a nice idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.