Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I have an early 2015 13' MacBook Pro and need an external monitor. The new Apple LG monitor is USB-C and the 2015 MacBook Pro is USB-B. Is there an adapter that will allow me to use the newly released LG Ultra- Fine 27" Monitor? Thanks for any help on this. I Googled it and cannot find an answer.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Can't you use the new TB2 to TB3/USB-C adapter cable between your Macbook's TB2 port and the LG's USB-C port? That should let you drive the monitor at 5K. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter lets you connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices — external hard drives and Thunderbolt displays, for example — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on your MacBook Pro. As a bidirectional adapter, it can also connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port.*

Reactions: LD Curb

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
USA
Can't you use the new TB2 to TB3/USB-C adapter cable between your Macbook's TB2 port and the LG's USB-C port? That should let you drive the monitor at 5K. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter lets you connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices — external hard drives and Thunderbolt displays, for example — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on your MacBook Pro. As a bidirectional adapter, it can also connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port.*
Thanks! I had seen similar info but was thinking that it was to connect a new Mac to an older monitor. I appreciate your help very much!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The new Apple LG monitor is USB-C"

Point of order here.

This IS NOT "an Apple monitor".
It's an -LG- monitor, designed in conjunction with input from Apple.
Repeat, it IS NOT "an Apple monitor".

I suspect we'll begin to see displays from other manufacturers enter the market with similar specs.

I also suspect that within a little time -- say 6 months or so -- we'll see pricing drop quite a bit, as well.

But -- there will be NO new "Apple" displays coming to market any time soon.
Looks like they've left that side of the business to other companies.

Just as they did with the printer business many years ago (before many here would even remember).

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Your 2015 MacBook Pro can't drive 5K resolutions. Further, 5K resolutions require two independent cables from pre-Thunderbolt 3 computers, and the monitor only has one input in the form of a Thunderbolt 3 port.

It's possible the monitor will allow 4K input in the manner described with the Apple Thunderbolt adaptor, but I'm not optimistic about that.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
It's possible the monitor will allow 4K input in the manner described with the Apple Thunderbolt adaptor, but I'm not optimistic about that.

Why? I can give my Dell 4K monitor a 2K resolution signal and it has no problem with that.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Why? I can give my Dell 4K monitor a 2K resolution signal and it has no problem with that.
- Thunderbolt inputs on monitors have traditionally been a bit pickier than traditional inputs such as HDMI and DisplayPort. Add to that the fact that TB2->TB3 conversion is totally uncharted territory, so it's hard to know exactly how it will work.

I'm hopeful it will work, of course, but we won't know for a while.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
I have an early 2015 13' MacBook Pro and need an external monitor. The new Apple LG monitor is USB-C and the 2015 MacBook Pro is USB-B. Is there an adapter that will allow me to use the newly released LG Ultra- Fine 27" Monitor? Thanks for any help on this. I Googled it and cannot find an answer.
The USB-C monitor uses the USB 3.1 Gen 2 standard for video support. So nope for USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.