Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cajuncocoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2016
Is this new app separate from the Apple Music service? Will those of us who never subscribed to the service now be required to subscribe to access our music? It sounds confusing. I don’t want Apple Music so I hope that’s not the case. If anyone knows the answer to this I’d appreciate knowing how it will operate going forward...thanks!

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
The Music app is basically a renamed iTunes with podcasts, videos and device synching stripped.

You don't need the Apple Music subscription service. The Apple Music subscription service can be hidden in the Restrictions preferences. The iTunes store for purchasing music is still there.

Reactions: cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2016
The Music app is basically a renamed iTunes with podcasts, videos and device synching stripped.

You don't need the Apple Music subscriptions service. The Apple Music subscription service can be hidden in the Restrictions preferences. The iTunes store for purchasing music is still there.

Thank you very much!

badbluesman

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
California
Will we still have the ability to load music from CDs into the new music app? Will we be able to load MP-3s and MP-4s from other sources?

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Is iTunes LP content still supported in the new Music app in Catalina?

I know Apple have deprecated support and no longer allow new iTunes LP content via the store. Older iTLP content is still available though (Beatles UK catalogue/stereo box set etc).

If not, I’ll set about extracting booklet .jpgs from the package files for my iTunes LPs soon. I’m not bothered about losing the functionality itself too much but I would like the keep the content itself, even if only as a succession of .jpgs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.