Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What about ATV3 ?

The Apple TV 3 will not be jailbroken until there is a bootrom exploit for A5 devices. If an exploit is found for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S bootrom, it may not work on the Apple TV 3 because of its unique single core A5. The only other option is to look for an almost impossible userland exploit within its very limited firmware.

Twinsbb17

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Woodbury, MN
CRAP! I just sold my 2nd Gen AppleTV with iOS 5.0 on Amazon for $76. If I would have waited a day and jailbroke the thing I could probably gotten another $20+ for it. Oh well.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Apple TV 3 will not be jailbroken until there is a bootrom exploit for A5 devices. If an exploit is found for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S bootrom, it may not work on the Apple TV 3 because of its unique single core A5. The only other option is to look for an almost impossible userland exploit within its very limited firmware.

You seem to know a lot about this. In your opinion, do you think they will manage to jailbreak it? How long will it take?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You seem to know a lot about this. In your opinion, do you think they will manage to jailbreak it? How long will it take?

With the current firmware and not bootrom exploits, it could take years. The current firmware is so secure because it is so minimal. The typical vulnerabilities like Safari and third party apps don't exist on it. If Apple does create and release an App Store for it, things could become easier. But as of now, no jailbreak has ever utilized an App Store app for the purposes of jailbreaking.

Looking at recent tweets by MuscleNerd, the only reason why the Apple TV 2 is jailbroken is because of the limera1n bootrom exploit. If the limera1n bootrom exploit didn't exist or wasn't usable on the Apple TV 2 due to a slightly different bootrom, the Apple TV 2 would still not be jailbroken.

To complicate things further, the Apple TV 3 has a lower priority when compared to the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch in terms of jailbreaking. While an userland untethered exploit may be found and released for the iPad 3, there is no way of getting it into the Apple TV 3 at this time.

In my opinion, it could take at least a year given the current no bootrom exploit and limited iOS system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.