Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zelda Chestnut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2018
I have the Apple TV, and as I used it tonight I saw the Game Controller icon in the Control Center. It got me thinking: I wonder if there will be a new Apple TV announced tomorrow with the MacBooks? Rumors have been indicating that gaming will be a big focus, and it would make a lot of sense (and be way overdue) for them to bring true gaming to the Apple TV. So what do you think? Maybe we will see an Apple TV "Pro" tomorrow? Do you think it would have the A17 Pro chip, or an M-series chip? I feel like that would be aggressive for it to have the M3, but who knows?

AppleFan8605

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2023
I have the original AppleTV 4K from 2018. I went to the Apple Store on 10/28/23 to buy a new AppleTV because I wanted the new remote and my AppleTV will freeze a lot. When I went to buy the AppleTV, the employee asked if I was upgrading or buying an AppleTV for the first time. Then he asked if I needed it this weekend or could wait. Then he said, you know there’s an event on Monday, you should wait until after the event if you can.

Based on that experience at the Apple Store and the event time being during the 8 pm eastern time primetime TV slot (usually events are on Tuesdays at 10 am pacific time), I think the event is related to TV and possibly gaming. Apple is raising prices on AppleTV+ and other services. I think it will be TV/gaming hardware, but mostly focused on software/services due to the time of the event. Possibly live TV related services. I’m sure they would love for people to experience sporting events live through the Vision Pro in an experience that makes you feel like you’re there. Maybe something like that will be incorporated.

It just doesn’t make sense for Apple to break from their usual announcement time (10 am pacific) to announce their usual hardware (M3 chip in MacBook). It’s got to be something atypical and services (growing portion of revenue) makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: SunMac

kirbalo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2022
While I think it always makes sense to wait until after a known announcement, I also know that for the most part, in cases like this, that the Apple Store employee unfortunately, doesn't know anything more about what's being announced than we do...

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Apple will want as many devices as possible to run games like Resident Evil Village to attract game developers, so an AppleTV (Pro) with A17Pro isn’t completely out of the question. However, whether that happens today or sometime next year depends on cost, yields, projected sales, etc.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
For AAA games, it's not about hardware. It's about MONEY. Sony & Microsoft spend HUGE on subsidizing games like Apple spends huge on AppleTV+ original content. Even if there is some objective case that Apple hardware is superior gaming hardware- which is NOT a given if we are being objective- that won't do it. What you need to hear tonight is that Apple is basically duplicating the AppleTV+ approach for a new gaming-focused thrust. That is:
  1. At least a few billion is allocated to subsidize the creation of new games.
  2. Apple is in active talks to buy a major game studio or two and/or franchises of major games (with intent to follow through on such purchases). Ideally, they announce they HAVE already executed a meaningful purchase to demonstrate they ARE actually putting money where their gaming mouth is.
  3. Apple is adding major staff to focus exclusively on games for Apple hardware.
If it's only a bunch of talk about "superior hardware," we've already seen this movie a number of times before. And we know how it plays out.

AAA game developers want the same thing Apple wants: to maximize revenue. If the other players offer significant "sure" money vs. Apple offering only "potential," which is going to get the development? Show developers how to make MORE money coding AAA game for Silicon and they will come. Show that "new Silicon has ray tracing" and they'll proclaim "finally!" and then resume development for much more abundant and lucrative platforms that have had ray tracing for a decade or two already.
  • Major money: good chance of AAA games
  • A bunch of talk: business as usual.
And as quickly as possible, wrap up the Epic court battle. What game developer wants to develop games for a company that demands 30% right of the top (first in line) so passionately, they will try to legally sue them into oblivion? The other channels generally work WITH big gaming houses... not towards trying to destroy them. Make peace ASAP. That would be another very tangible way to demonstrate "we're serious about gaming." Adapt the "maximize Apple revenue" position to make it much more win:win for AAA game developers. And show Developers how there is more money on Silicon than PC/PS5/XBOX/etc.

Or roll out this $500 AppleTV PRO (too) and hope that they will come. But this isn't some kind of tech "Field of Dreams."

Trick or Treat? TBD in hours now.

Last edited:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I still find it hilarious that after all these years people still think Apple cares about gaming on the Apple TV despite them doing everything in their power to make it clear they have no interest in gaming on the platform.

Zelda Chestnut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2018
Well... it didn't happen. Bummer, folks! I still think it would be really cool if they did one day.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I think better chance would be getting the AppleTV interface re-packaged as Front Row 2 for Mac Mini. Then one could buy a Mac Mini or Mini PRO (or Studio Ultra if one wants MAX overkill) and repurpose it as a "gamer edition" AppleTV.

If you don't know the name Front Row, back in about 2nd generation time- about 2009 or so- the AppleTV interface was available as a Mac app: turn any Mac into AppleTV. Now that Macs basically run on mostly the same silicon in AppleTV, it would probably be easier to make a Front Row 2 for modern Macs.

Rather than make a single purpose device AKA AppleTV PRO or similar, Apple could resurrect a software concept and sell Mac Mini or Studio to people wanting a super-powerful AppleTV for gaming.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I think better chance would be getting the AppleTV interface re-packaged as Front Row 2 for Mac Mini. Then one could buy a Mac Mini or Mini PRO (or Studio Ultra if one wants MAX overkill) and repurpose it as a "gamer edition" AppleTV.

If you don't know the name Front Row, back in about 2nd generation time- about 2009 or so- the AppleTV interface was available as a Mac app: turn any Mac into AppleTV. Now that Macs basically run on mostly the same silicon in AppleTV, it would probably be easier to make a Front Row 2 for modern Macs.

Rather than make a single purpose device AKA AppleTV PRO or similar, Apple could resurrect a software concept and sell Mac Mini or Studio to people wanting a super-powerful AppleTV for gaming.
Whoa Front Row sounds like a great feature! I vote that Apple should bring it back.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Do Apple TV's even get mentioned at Apple Events? I thought they just got mentioned in press releases later? Usually its just a faster chip which doesn't merit the hardware showing up at the event. The controller Icon just got moved to the special menu. Its a pretty good feature, it can connect PC, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo controllers and even offers remapping of the buttons and you can save different profiles for every game. It needs to support remapping for backpaddles and it will be close to perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.