Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Bah, worst of all, I don't think ATV3 is anywhere near the top of the priority list of items to be jailbroken.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
In a way, I guess it would be perfect.

Jailbreak comes out in about 6 - 8 months and right around the same time, more people begin to sell their used ATV3 at $60 - $80.

New ATV3 with jailbreak for 60% of the original cost, WHY NOT?!

rhino89

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
General Question

I'm pretty new to jailbreaking, so I had a general question:

Assuming a jailbreak will come out for the iOS 5.1 on the Apple TV 2 (I don't have the new one), will all the instructions for installing XBMC, plugins, and all sorts of stuff on the ATV2 still work the same? Or do these OS updates wreck all the players/plugins that worked on the 4.x.x versions? Just trying to understand if the jailbreak process itself is just a way to get "in", and all the other instructions and capabilities that can be added remain the same? Or will we have to wait for a new jailbreak, then new guides on how to install everything that we could install easily on older versions of ATV2?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm pretty new to jailbreaking, so I had a general question:

Assuming a jailbreak will come out for the iOS 5.1 on the Apple TV 2 (I don't have the new one), will all the instructions for installing XBMC, plugins, and all sorts of stuff on the ATV2 still work the same? Or do these OS updates wreck all the players/plugins that worked on the 4.x.x versions? Just trying to understand if the jailbreak process itself is just a way to get "in", and all the other instructions and capabilities that can be added remain the same? Or will we have to wait for a new jailbreak, then new guides on how to install everything that we could install easily on older versions of ATV2?

I don't think it will be much of an issue as 5.1 isn't much of an update. Firmware 4.4.4 on ATV is actually iOS 5.0.1--so not a huge update. But at least 5.1 brings the ATV versioning inline with portable iOS devices.

Michael

redondo5

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
is it true a jailbreak wil come soon.

jairbreak atv3 on google brings up a few articles saying it should arrive soon

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Here's what FireCore has to say:

As you may recall we were very optimistic about the ATV3 when it originally launched back in March, and while this optimism remains unchanged it's clear things have not progressed as quickly as anyone would have liked. The biggest hurdle that has yet to be overcome is also the most essential - the jailbreak. While we tend to think of ourselves as pretty resourceful, the security related expertise that is required in order to release a jailbreak for iOS based devices like the ATV is just not in our wheelhouse, and we're simply left to encourage the capable few as best we can. No one is more anxious than us to get the ATV3 opened up to 3rd party apps, but due to the reasons mentioned above we're not able to provide any kind of release timeline right now.

http://blog.firecore.com/9104

It's been almost a year since the aTV3 was released. I'm doubting the likelihood of a jailbreak.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Progress is being made, though slow and nothing to show for.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they were saying in the spring. Like I said, don't get your hopes up. It'd be great if they are able to do it, but until something else happens, I'm going with the assumption that it's not going to come and hopefully end up pleasantly surprised.

redondo5

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
xbmc would be nice to have so i wouldn't need another device for that.

but i could get that with raspberry pi 2 for relitively cheap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.