Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013
Apple should just release their TV with regular over the air channels, hulu, netflix, youtube, and an app store. That is what most people are using these days anyways. If I would own a cable company I wouldn't join Apple.. have them take over and take 30% off every sale!? No thanks lol

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Is anything new going to launch this year? Not holding my breath. No doubt Cook will pop up soon to say they've got a great pipeline for 2015. LMAO.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Just release an app store already!!!! I don't know why they are waiting for this media content BS. :mad:

App Store without new hardware/software to run it??? The current Apple TV doesn't use apps like other iOS devices as you know. Those are just icons

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I guess I will stick to my Chromecast then. I really want Apple to give the ATV a facelift. I can pull out my phone and watch something on my Chromecast so much faster than I can dig through multiple menus and wait for them to load on my ATV.

I have an :apple:TV 2 and a Chromecast, I must say overall I still like my :apple:TV2 better, I'm sure an :apple:TV3 would be even better. But for the price if you already have a Chromecast I could see why you would keep Chromecast.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Sell your 2nd gen on ebay for $200 (I sold mine a couple of months ago) and buy the 3rd gen for $80 and pocket the $120!!!!

Is your jailbroken? mine is not and i don't think the latest software can be jailbroken yet. Is it worth getting the 3rd gen instead of the 2nd? i don't care about the jailbreak

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Is your jailbroken? mine is not and i don't think the latest software can be jailbroken yet. Is it worth getting the 3rd gen instead of the 2nd? i don't care about the jailbreak

It is jailbroken. :) and I have been thinking about selling it, with the chromecast I don't need the jailbreak as Plex was the only thing I was really using the jailbreak for and pled works with the chromecast

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Is anything new going to launch this year? Not holding my breath. No doubt Cook will pop up soon to say they've got a great pipeline for 2015. LMAO.

This better be an amazing fall. I can't believe how slow everything seems to be updating.

I've been waiting for a thunderbolt display to match my original rMBP, but it's been three years since an update. And, while I hate to admit it, Apple has been so slow even MS has passed it on hardware.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Apple should just release their TV with regular over the air channels, hulu, netflix, youtube, and an app store. That is what most people are using these days anyways. If I would own a cable company I wouldn't join Apple.. have them take over and take 30% off every sale!? No thanks lol

Over the air? There's an antenna for that.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
where is the promise of internet television?

Sad true is internet television sucks really bad right now. To start fixing it, let's start with something easy...how about make it so that the television that is streamed over the air for free is also streamed/viewed on the AppleTV for free. If this could be accomplished that in itself would be awesome.

I don't know why companies like ABC are making people have a cable subscription for content they blast over the airwaves for free. This is simply ridiculous and Apple should do something about it!

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
I guess I will stick to my Chromecast then. I really want Apple to give the ATV a facelift. I can pull out my phone and watch something on my Chromecast so much faster than I can dig through multiple menus and wait for them to load on my ATV.

Correct...because Chromecast only has 4 pathetic apps.

----------

Sell your 2nd gen on ebay for $200 (I sold mine a couple of months ago) and buy the 3rd gen for $80 and pocket the $120!!!!

Good. If ATV3 is jailbroken, you ATV2 will worth <$20.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Correct...because Chromecast only has 4 pathetic apps.

And how many do most people use on the Apple TV? Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, and one other? I use my CC for Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Plex (which is a great interface on the iPhone), YouTube (which is way better on the CC compared to the ATV), Watch ESPN, and Google Music. Other apps that work with it are Rdio, Pandora, Songza, Aviate, and many others. The Chromecast is far from pathetic. The best thing the Apple TV has right now is AirPlay.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Rumour is saying that Apple provided the TV companies a way to store each TV contents/programmes into media modules which a subscriber would be able to search and pull from Apple massive database and watch at any time and as often as their heart contents. The delay is caused by Apple ambition to include every major and minor TV station around the globe (except Afghanistan, but that's another story).

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Sad true is internet television sucks really bad right now. To start fixing it, let's start with something easy...how about make it so that the television that is streamed over the air for free is also streamed/viewed on the AppleTV for free. If this could be accomplished that in itself would be awesome.

I don't know why companies like ABC are making people have a cable subscription for content they blast over the airwaves for free. This is simply ridiculous and Apple should do something about it!

Long story short the TV networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.,) charge cable and satellite companies retransmission fees so Apple (or any other distributor) just isn't going to get access to all the network TV content for free. TV networks and cable/sat providers also have long standing (and lucrative) business relationships so neither side is going to be eager to rock the boat.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Nobody will get to transmit network tv for free. The only way would be for apple to include a digital tuner and a coaxial port to attach a terrestrial antenna.

----------

Rumour is saying that Apple provided the TV companies a way to store each TV contents/programmes into media modules which a subscriber would be able to search and pull from Apple massive database and watch at any time and as often as their heart contents. The delay is caused by Apple ambition to include every major and minor TV station around the globe (except Afghanistan, but that's another story).

Really? Source?

I for one wondered why, if a 4th gen Apple TV was going to be released this year. How come there hasn't been any parts leaks like the iPhone/iPad? Those two products have more leaks than the titanic. But a newer Apple TV, that has been rumored for almost 3 years, has no parts leaks????

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I believe we have little to look forward to this fall except the iPhone 6.

Laptops have already been updated, and I look for a silent update for the desktops soon. We are not seeing ANY parts leaking for a watch or tv, so i would not suspect to see them or the mythical 12 inch retina macbook air.

Not bad, Apple is great at making sure a product is ready to be released.

But still, eh.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Everyone assumed Apples downfall would be going the Sony route and creating a bloated, unfocused range of products, but I think they could end up just delaying themselves into obsolescence. :p

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I have repeatedly posted on Macrumors that the video content providers will not let Apple have control over content as it has with the recording industry....and here it is the mid-2014 version of that battle.

Apple was great for the recording industry but the recording industry was desimated by the likes of Napster and others when the iPod came out. TV/video is a totally different ball game: the networks and ISP/cable providers have solid revenue streams and sports leagues are in bed with the major TV networks so Apple is an 'also ran' in this arena.

As others have posted, Apple can provide a great UI (and one that is, hopefully, much much better than the current Apple TV), but the cable providers are running a cartel so they don't need Apple's UI to make a ton of money. And every TV manufacturer as well as Google and Microsoft are in this space already to some degree.

We'll see this discussion again in December and then, hopefully, all of this will be put to rest when Apple officially moves the Apple TV out of the 'hobby' category and into something more meaningful in a year or two.

The rare voice of reason in these Apple TV forums.

A lot of people have this fantasy that of a world where they'll be able to buy the shows they want off Apple TV for a fraction of what they pay for cable/satellite.

It ignores the fact there is ZERO incentive for content providers to move from the current model to an Apple based system that reaches fewer customers. As much as people complain about the junk content on TV, a lot of the content for good shots is funded by the guaranteed revenue stream from cable/satellite contracts. Moving to a 'piecemeal' system requires that somebody pays the freight.

This isn't the music industry that was caught unprepared for the digital age and desperate for a model to save their future. The TV industry is booming right now. Apple has to focus on a way to 'grow the pie'....not try to take over the pie like the music industry.

fewlio

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
The rare voice of reason in these Apple TV forums.

A lot of people have this fantasy that of a world where they'll be able to buy the shows they want off Apple TV for a fraction of what they pay for cable/satellite.

It ignores the fact there is ZERO incentive for content providers to move from the current model to an Apple based system that reaches fewer customers. As much as people complain about the junk content on TV, a lot of the content for good shots is funded by the guaranteed revenue stream from cable/satellite contracts. Moving to a 'piecemeal' system requires that somebody pays the freight.

This isn't the music industry that was caught unprepared for the digital age and desperate for a model to save their future. The TV industry is booming right now. Apple has to focus on a way to 'grow the pie'....not try to take over the pie like the music industry.

Pirates are swashbuckling heroes. They are fighting the system right now to create a better tv tomorrow for YOU!! The more these companies lose from torrents and the like, the more incentive they have to make things easier and more reasonable via the Internet (Ala music and iTunes). Video lags behind music only because the bandwidth wasn't there, mp3s worked even on dialup. Bandwidth is good enough now, time is on our side. As darth vader would say 'It is your destiny!'

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
This is where Steve Jobs is missed in my opinion

Steve Jobs as head of Pixar was a made man enabling him to forge deals with content producers. Tim Cook as just the head of Apple is the enemy of the content producers and will remain that way, Beats acquisition or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.