Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacConsultant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Disappointing in that it will only be useful if one owns/uses an iPhone. The watch would have been better and sell better if it were made useful with or without an iPhone.

Why did Apple announce it now when it won't be available for at least three months and after the Holidays ?

Apple stock did not go up today.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Disappointing in that it will only be useful if one owns/uses an iPhone. The watch would have been better and sell better if it were made useful with or without an iPhone.

Why did Apple announce it now when it won't be available for at least three months and after the Holidays ?

Apple stock did not go up today.

I agree that it would have been better to have an independent watch rather than one that anchors to the iPhone. However, given all the things it does do (the watch) it would require being far larger if it were indeed independent. I am not worried as I have no desire to get this watch.

MacConsultant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
I agree that it would have been better to have an independent watch rather than one that anchors to the iPhone. However, given all the things it does do (the watch) it would require being far larger if it were indeed independent. I am not worried as I have no desire to get this watch.

I enjoy Apple products, but cannot think of even one reason to buy it, especially at that price point.

Anyone know how readable is this watch in direct \sunlight? My $15 Casio is very readable day and night.

The iWatch screen looks very reflective and glossy. Will glare and reflectivity reduce visibility ?

Last edited:

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
A newspaper with a desk lamp is very readable day or night. What's your point?

The original iPhone was announced January 9 2007 and wasn't released until June 29, 2007, and it did just fine.

Apple stock almost always goes down after every keynote.

MacConsultant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
A newspaper with a desk lamp is very readable day or night. What's your point?

The original iPhone was announced January 9 2007 and wasn't released until June 29, 2007, and it did just fine.

Apple stock almost always goes down after every keynote.

Sure, just carry a desk lamp everywhere so you can read the watch. I made no point… I asked a question. No need to be defensive. Many displays cannot be seen well in sunlight.

When companies release a great product which exceeds expectations, the stock goes up. Simple.

Why didn't Apple change the iPhone to inductive charging ? Now that would have been an excellent enhancement.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I see this thread headed somewhat "south" but I'd like to chime in nonetheless. I, too am skeptical of a thick Apple watch. Apple is known for slim products and for them to release something so bulky seems like they were pressured into releasing this before its time.

Now to the OP point about the iWatch only works with iPhone, there are over half a billion iPhones out there. If only 1 percent of those users decide to buy an Apple watch, that's 5 million sales. Meanwhile the Gear sold 1.2 million out of a total market of 2 million last year. So I don't know if 1 % take rate is reasonable but I'd rather be trying to sell something now to half a billion existing users than wait a year or two to figure out how to make it work without requiring an iPhone.

When you are camping in bear country, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the guy running next to you. Clearly Apple outran Samsung with the Apple watch announcement. It seems fat. It may not hold a charge very long. It only works with iPhones. But has the potential to be better than everything else out there right now.

This is textbook Apple. A lot of their success is based on pure hype but a lot of it is based on products that deliver. I'd like to see how these digital crown and taptic features resonate with end users. No amount of hype can convince users to use something that sucks. If users like the way this watch works we might be looking at a take rate higher than 1%. Apple might not have shown us the thin continuous display flexible 1mm thick thing some of us were hoping for but all they need to achieve success is to be the best among what is available today and every indication suggests they have done that.

I wear a watch. It's a Citizen eco drive ultra thin model with nothing but time. No date. No day. I've owned watches that offer day, date, perpetual calendar and the like and these days I've opted for a minimal thin watch. For this reason, I might not be considering an Apple watch. Unless. That payment thing seems intriguing. Holding my wrist out as I walk past the checkout rather than digging for a card or even digging for my phone has a lot of merit.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
I wear a watch. It's a Citizen eco drive ultra thin model with nothing but time. No date. No day. I've owned watches that offer day, date, perpetual calendar and the like and these days I've opted for a minimal thin watch. For this reason, I might not be considering an Apple watch. Unless. That payment thing seems intriguing. Holding my wrist out as I walk past the checkout rather than digging for a card or even digging for my phone has a lot of merit.

Forget using this as a wrist watch, use it as a pocket watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.