Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I just bought new hardware direct from Apple: a refurbished M1 Mac Mini and a shiny new iPhone SE 3.

I've been using Macintosh computers since 1986, and owning them since 1989. I have never owned both a Mac and an iPhone until now. This will be my first iPhone ever.

I want to set up a new AppleID with iCloud so I have a new permanent iCloud-based e-mail address. I do not want the new account and address to be linked to any of my exisiting e-mail addresses.

How do I do this?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It sounds like you want to use a new AppleID on your new Mac, and use it on your new iPhone, too.

Setup one device at a time. I would suggest the Mac mini first.
First time you turn it on, you will go through a new user setup.
Follow the steps. It will ask you to sign in with your AppleID account. Same screen will let you set up a new AppleID account, which means that you would use an existing email address for the account name - OR, the setup will also issue you an iCloud.com email address. You appear to want that iCloud email, so just follow the steps.
You can see more info here - https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/create-an-apple-id-mh35903/12.0/mac/12.0

When you have successfully set up your AppleID account (and you now have the iCloud email address that you want to use), then you can set up your new iPhone. New setup again for that - and it will ask for you to sign in with your AppleID. You don't need to set up a new AppleID on the iPhone, because you just set it up on your Mac mini, so you use the same account and password that you just used with the Mac mini.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
How do I do this?
I would add a preliminary step to what DeltaMac said: before beginning setups, obtain a fresh email address for use in creating AppleID and iCloud accounts that have no connections to your existing online presence. There are many places to do this; in the past I've used Gmail, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo Mail, and Outlook.com. These free email addresses will receive very minimal email, if any, since they are only used as the basis for setting up another account somewhere. Or if you are willing to pay, there are a lot of options for even more privacy than the free email services.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wingsley

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Also note, if you have any apps previously purchased with your old Apple ID, you will not be able to install them onto the M1 without re-buying them.
This also applies to iTunes purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.