Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thanks for the heads-up...

Probably just version 8 of Atari Flashback Console...

This article talks about it, but the author doesn't seem to be aware that there have been Atari retro-consoles out for many years already... :rolleyes:

http://segmentnext.com/2017/06/10/new-atari-console-atari-box-production-according-video/

Probably an announcement at E3.

Would be nice if you can hook up all the original accessories from the 2600, 5200, 7800, Computer XL, and Jaguar and have it play all Atari Console games...

Reactions: compwiz1202

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Wild and mad thought- a multi device, cross platform service to deliver low-weight games, might include an additional hardware device like an Ouya or NES Mini.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Wild and mad thought- a multi device, cross platform service to deliver low-weight games, might include an additional hardware device like an Ouya or NES Mini.

Looking at the bottom of the website there is a "dev" button for developers.

Yes, probably an Android-based game console like Ouya, but with the Atari name, will have all the Atari console games (hopefully) on it, plus play all Android TV games (and Google Play), so you'll get Netflix, Youtube, etc.

Would be cool if it had not only HDMI, but the old composite port for hooking it up to old TV sets.;)

Maybe it'll have the old Atari Controller ports for hooking up the old controllers as well as BT and USB for all the modern ones.

I'd say, $99, with a wireless 7800 gamepad (which was only available in Europe, updated to wireless?).

atari_7800pal_controller_1.jpg

Too bad for Ouya - with all these Android TV games starting to come out - it was ahead of its time...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It could also be a steambox / gaming pc ... After all Atari didn't just make consoles they also made home computers in the Atari ST.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Reactions: MRU

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

PC based?

Maybe wondering if, then, it can be Windows 10 S?

Steam OS? Seems like not many Steam games under this OS, unless Atari wants to have their own games underneath this OS...

I can see a $99 PC based console - I have one of these Kangaroo PC's ($99) and it's great and runs many casual games. The one I have is already 2 years old, so the newer ones should be much faster.

Maybe an "lite" AMD SOC that's just under the power of an XBox One?

nVidia Tegra chip like in the Switch?

Can't wait to find out.

Unfortunately, there is always a console "fail" when there is more than the big 3...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Watch it sink like an expensive stone

I would've paid $99 for one...

Or $129 if it came with a *really nice* gamepad, or even $149 if they also threw in a wireless Atari Joystick (like in the new Flashback HD).

$250? AMD system to compete with the Xbox One S and PS4 Slim? :eek:

Ouya's problem was that the $99 asking was the same price as used consoles at the time - with lots of cheap games for them.

By the time Atari Box is out, used PS4's and Xbox One S's will be under $200 (and OG Xbox One's will be around $150).

What are these guys smokin'?

Reactions: MRU

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Until i see some good original games and not just ports from other systems im not buying. I dont care about comparing processing power to the other consoles so long as they take advantage of good IPs. I will reserve my judgement until close to launch time. Not looking good though.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Looks like a nice system. Has possibilities. And bringing back the classic games is nice. But they’ll have to convince the world that they’re here to stay and not a gimmick.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Looks like a nice system. Has possibilities. And bringing back the classic games is nice. But they’ll have to convince the world that they’re here to stay and not a gimmick.

You obviously haven't heard about Atari's other recent project....

The Atari Speakerhat

https://www.atarilife.com

dims

Yeah, with innovation like that, do you really think Atari would put out a product that bombs in the marketplace...

LOL....

I got all the emails from them pumping this console kickstarter launch, but I would have to clear the console shelf that I use for my boxee box...

(I actually did get suckered in on the boxee box kickstarter, they finally released a half working tv box, then tried to sell a version 2 box without fixing the first one. Finally some company came in, bought the IP and discontinued all the hardware and software.)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
You obviously haven't heard about Atari's other recent project....

The Atari Speakerhat

https://www.atarilife.com

dims

Yeah, with innovation like that, do you really think Atari would put out a product that bombs in the marketplace...

LOL....

I got all the emails from them pumping this console kickstarter launch, but I would have to clear the console shelf that I use for my boxee box...

(I actually did get suckered in on the boxee box kickstarter, they finally released a half working tv box, then tried to sell a version 2 box without fixing the first one. Finally some company came in, bought the IP and discontinued all the hardware and software.)

Yeah... Atari has been making small splashes here and there for years trying to re-enter the console and game market.

I’m pretty sure very little remains of the original company. Seems like I remember their assets and name being passed around a bit (like Commodore). Everyone thinking they’ll be the ones who can ride the name and intellectual property wave into becoming huge in the marketplace.

The reality, is that while I loved the original Atari and Commodore companies and they’re ideas at the time, this isn’t a market where retro makes you a huge player.

The best you can hope for is some aging couch potatoes and some hobbyists.

Anyone wanting to take on PlayStation and Nintendo, would do better to come out as a fresh unknown with an awesome product and at least one stellar game put out by a huge name that is only available on their new game system.

From there, if you impress with the graphics and performance and interface, it’s pretty much a free ride as long as you can lure other big name game companies attention.

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Yeah, that w
Not sure what this is but I found this...

https://www.ataribox.com

Retro I'm guessing?

Yeah, the data was released last year about that product, it’s been enhanced a little since it’s using AMD rysen chips, Linux based, a full computer, will download from steam...pc games can be played on it...old Atari vcs games too.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah, that w

Yeah, the data was released last year about that product, it’s been enhanced a little since it’s using AMD rysen chips, Linux based, a full computer, will download from steam...pc games can be played on it...old Atari vcs games too.

It's becoming a reality.

You can pre-order one now:

$390 for a unit with both wireless controllers (retro and modern)...

Yes, $390, $90 more than an Xbox One X MS has on special right now for $299 to move them out before the next gen in November...

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Blimey that's expensive. I like the idea though, but will it really compete with the Big 3?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
You start to wonder, though, if this is the best they can do as far as marketing:

Centipede Arcade in co-op mode:

overview@2x.jpg

Compared to the closest system out there now, the Nintendo Switch:

mode-1.jpg

How does Atari expect to compete? You start to wonder the thinking...

Supposed to ship by end of 2020 - if it does at all...

I think it will be released, but be ignored...

People will be too busy looking Nintendo Switch's as holiday gifts or looking for PS5's or XBox Series X's...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.