Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Type the name Mario into your text field and watch it auto-correct to MARIO

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thats because Mario is always fully capitalized because of MARIO Bros. If you type it enough times and keep hitting the little X, it will learn not to always capitalize it. Definitely not a bug.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Type the name Mario into your text field and watch it auto-correct to MARIO
Thats because Mario is always fully capitalized because of MARIO Bros. If you type it enough times and keep hitting the little X, it will learn not to always capitalize it. Definitely not a bug.
I'm not quite sure it would really be based on that since Mario is a regular name first, before any Nintendo connection. In my case, where I pretty much never use Mario in the context of a first name or in relation to the character/Nintendo, if I type it in there's no autocorrect that takes place and it just stays as I type it in, "Mario".

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm not quite sure it would really be based on that since Mario is a regular name first, before any Nintendo connection. In my case, where I pretty much never use Mario in the context of a first name or in relation to the character/Nintendo, if I type it in there's no autocorrect that takes place and it just stays as I type it in, "Mario".
Out of curiosity, do you have Mario run on your device? I've tested 7 devices (iPhone, iPads and iPod Touches), those that have Mario run capitalize it to MARIO, those that don't, don't.

But, I have always ever typed Mario as MARIO because thats the only time I have ever used that name.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Autocorrect often offers the names of installed apps as suggestions. Unfortunately, MARIO is one of these.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Out of curiosity, do you have Mario run on your device? I've tested 7 devices (iPhone, iPads and iPod Touches), those that have Mario run capitalize it to MARIO, those that don't, don't.

Autocorrect often offers the names of installed apps as suggestions. Unfortunately, MARIO is one of these.
That would probably explain it then. I don't have any Mario games on my iPhone (at least not at the moment).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.