Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Because that helps with placebo effect and customers stop complaining a lot of the times.

Also, the battery meter algorithm doesn’t work like the way you described. As I posted earlier, it’s always a relative average. Never absolute measurement because it’s physically impossible to know how much change a chemical reaction has changed since the last charge. It’s always just a best guess. There’s nothing to calibrate here.

That whole calibration business was relevant to nickel based batteries. Not lithium ion batteries.

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/lithium-ion-battery.htm

If it's a relative average, then adding 0s to the calculation changes the average. This has nothing to do with battery chemistry and everything to do with how the system keeps track of what state the battery is in. If the system thinks the battery is at 5%, but then it runs a few more hours, it can update the calibration to follow that whatever voltage/charge it's getting is good for X more amount of usage and the percentage can be reflected more correctly.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If it's a relative average, then adding 0s to the calculation changes the average. This has nothing to do with battery chemistry and everything to do with how the system keeps track of what state the battery is in. If the system thinks the battery is at 5%, but then it runs a few more hours, it can update the calibration to follow that whatever voltage/charge it's getting is good for X more amount of usage and the percentage can be reflected more correctly.

And the algorithm is smart enough to measure all that. A user doesn’t need to do anything exactly how we don’t need to fiddle around with clock speed or fsb cache or memory dump.

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
My mate had the same problem, he lives in France and he was even turned away at an Apple Store when he wanted to replace his "subpar" battery replacement... Then he did a complete backup restore and got great results in battery life, almost as good as when he got his 6 new, maybe you can try that.

Reactions: davidmartindale

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
My mate had the same problem, he lives in France and he was even turned away at an Apple Store when he wanted to replace his "subpar" battery replacement... Then he did a complete backup restore and got great results in battery life, almost as good as when he got his 6 new, maybe you can try that.

This is a good suggestion if one is willing to do it.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
I have the 6s plus and even with a new battery the battery life stinks.

When battery reaches 10%, the whole phone gets super laggy and then shuts down completely.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Just to update I have noticed an improvement since connecting to my work's wi-fi during the day. My cellular reception is still poor but wi-fi calling is enabled which seems to be helping. So it wasn't Facebook after all.

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
Actually it can be beneficial. Apple has stated for years to do this procedure when getting a new device (battery) and once a month thereafter.
[doublepost=1516806125][/doublepost]
What's your screen brightness level?
And you trust apple on battery information lol. The experts say never let a battery drain to empty ever

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I am thinking that the newer software updates etc... since the iPhone 6s was manufactured are more taxing and using more battery life than when the phone was new.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And you trust apple on battery information lol. The experts say never let a battery drain to empty ever
When the phone shuts off the battery isn't completely empty to prevent it actually from being in a state of actually being empty. The information about battery meter calibration is something that is known well outside of Apple. It's not something that really needs to be done and certainly not something that should be done often, but if the battery meter isn't all that accurate it can be helpful to do that at one point or another.

Reactions: akash.nu

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I have an 18 month old iPhone 6S. Over the last few months, the battery life noticeably deteriorated. For the first year I owned the phone, from 7am to 10pm (15 hours) the phone would have approx. 30-40% remaining from a single charge. Now it barely lasts 12 hours without being completely flat.

Fair enough I thought, the battery is over a year old. So this week I took advantage of Apple's £25 battery replacement offer. I checked the new battery using Coconut Battery and sure enough, 0 battery cycles so it is indeed brand new.

However the battery life is no better :( it's still only lasting about 12 hours. According to battery usage in Settings, Facebook uses 50% of my battery consistently. This seems high, but I do use FB a lot and I've had it on the phone since I very first bought it and it never used to drain it so quickly. I have tried deleting the FB app and using the browser version, no real improvement.

I have tried turning off background refreshing firstly on FB only, and then on everything. Again no real improvement.

I can't figure out what is killing my battery. Could it be my Apple Watch? Or some other random app/process that settings is not picking up? Or is it just normal for the latest iOS to not last 12 hours?

Consider buying a new iPhone X. The battery life is amazing.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I have an 18 month old iPhone 6S. Over the last few months, the battery life noticeably deteriorated. For the first year I owned the phone, from 7am to 10pm (15 hours) the phone would have approx. 30-40% remaining from a single charge. Now it barely lasts 12 hours without being completely flat.

Fair enough I thought, the battery is over a year old. So this week I took advantage of Apple's £25 battery replacement offer. I checked the new battery using Coconut Battery and sure enough, 0 battery cycles so it is indeed brand new.

However the battery life is no better :( it's still only lasting about 12 hours. According to battery usage in Settings, Facebook uses 50% of my battery consistently. This seems high, but I do use FB a lot and I've had it on the phone since I very first bought it and it never used to drain it so quickly. I have tried deleting the FB app and using the browser version, no real improvement.

I have tried turning off background refreshing firstly on FB only, and then on everything. Again no real improvement.

I can't figure out what is killing my battery. Could it be my Apple Watch? Or some other random app/process that settings is not picking up? Or is it just normal for the latest iOS to not last 12 hours?

Apple Watch drains the battery big time. My uncle Giuseppe has an X and Watch. Much much much better battery life when he doesn't have bluetooth on and watch connected

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Apple Watch drains the battery big time. My uncle Giuseppe has an X and Watch. Much much much better battery life when he doesn't have bluetooth on and watch connected

On the other hand I always have my Apple Watch connected to my X and can easily get two days between charging. Don't think that is it....

danwestbrook

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Surrey, UK
6e386cc029af3d3ece41c13260a94310.jpg

Had a similar issue with my 6s ended up getting a bargain iPhone 8 from eBay and battery life has been amazing so far!

riteshritesh

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2016
Mumbai INDIA
I am in the same boat as the Thread Starter. 25 months old 6S 64 GB. After the i OS 11 update, the battery drain was noticeable. No lag in performance ( that I can pin-point), just plain noticeable drain in battery vis-a-vis iOS 10 days.
I used to return home with 50 ~56 % pending battery, whereas post iOS 11, it comes down to 20% or less.
Got myself a battery pack and stopped sweating over it. The battery pack is cheaper than the 'X' :D

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

I think you have your answer. Facebook is obviously drawing much more battery than it did in the past and/or you are using FB more than you did when you got it. Also, iOS 11 is more processor intensive. New battery doesn’t equate to new phone.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
I think most of you only read the OP and skipped my last post :) it was the poor network reception in my office draining the battery. Enabling wi-fi calling has improved it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I think most of you only read the OP and skipped my last post :) it was the poor network reception in my office draining the battery. Enabling wi-fi calling has improved it.

Which is why I have always stated that a new battery is never the answer to an issue. However, people here have the words "new battery" stuck in their tongues.
[doublepost=1517497639][/doublepost]
In the Field Test app, what is your average signal strength over the day? This is a value shown in dBm and is negative.

I even gave you this to do and you didn't even do it to confirm...

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

Sometimes we don't have time to read a whole thread but want to offer help.... you can also post the update in the original post to help with that.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Sometimes we don't have time to read a whole thread but want to offer help.... you can also post the update in the original post to help with that.

Ya I’m not gonna read the whole thread. Usually the first post and several replies. Updating the first post with an update paragraph would work. I should use that advice. Hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.