Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Four days of use, and again:

Battery Life app:
4% wear level
Capacity: 1500/1560 mah (96%)

Ibackupbot:
CycleCount: 3
DesignCapacity: 1510
FullChargeCapacity: 1500

Battery is degrading very fast according to this.
Seems fairly normal. These things fluctuate so they won't always be the same and won't always be at the peak right away either. Keep in mind that an iOS app like Battery Life gives just an estimate and only rounded to the closest hundred basically.

carlvi

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2017
Mine's at about 90% of its original capacity after a year of pretty heavy use.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Four days of use, and again:

Battery Life app:
4% wear level
Capacity: 1500/1560 mah (96%)

Ibackupbot:
CycleCount: 3
DesignCapacity: 1510
FullChargeCapacity: 1500

Battery is degrading very fast according to this.

What version of iOS are you running?

gonz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
This is the information I get from Coconut, it's very similar to Battery Life. Is it ok for a new battery with 4 days of use?

FullSizeRender.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is the information I get from Coconut, it's very similar to Battery Life. Is it ok for a new battery with 4 days of use?

View attachment 746612
Seems fine. As mentioned, these types of readings can fluctuate at times, and a new battery usually takes some cycles to actually get to its best performance.

Reactions: gonz1

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

For devices running iOS 10 or later, Battery Life is providing only a guess.

Coconut Battery is giving you accurate information from the hardware.

I wouldn't worry about your new battery. It might be worth checking monthly or so to see how it ages. Not all batteries are created equal.

gonz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
If it keeps degrading at this rhythm, it'll be like 50% wear level again, in just 2 months.
Also, Battery Life and Coconut, both gives similar data.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Battery health calculations can fluctuate based on a lot of variables like temperature, recent and current discharge rate, charge level, etc.

I’d give it a month or so than see how it’s doing.

When I replaced my battery it immediately read 2% wear. Right now it says 0%.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If it keeps degrading at this rhythm, it'll be like 50% wear level again, in just 2 months.
That's not how it works, as been explained in various posts.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

It shouldn't, but monitoring with Coconut Battery will let you follow that.

Battery Life extrapolates wear, it can't measure it. In my experience and in the experience of others here, BL's guesses are highly dependent on the state of battery charge. You'll get (or at least I get) very different battery wear estimates if the phone is at 95% charged than if it's at 35% charged. (You can check that on your own phone and see what happens.)

gonz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
It shouldn't, but monitoring with Coconut Battery will let you follow that.

Battery Life extrapolates wear, it can't measure it. In my experience and in the experience of others here, BL's guesses are highly dependent on the state of battery charge. You'll get (or at least I get) very different battery wear estimates if the phone is at 95% charged than if it's at 35% charged. (You can check that on your own phone and see what happens.)
Exactly, with 40% battery charge, it shows 0% wear level. Does this also happens to you with Coconut?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Exactly, with 40% battery charge, it shows 0% wear level. Does this also happens to you with Coconut?

Not sure I understand. With Battery Life, the wear level readings tends to be pretty high when the charge level is low and pretty low when the charge level is high. In other words, battery health seems to be reported based on battery charge. That does not happen when I look at battery health with Coconut Battery. That wasn't true on iOS 9. (I have a Gen 5 iPod Touch that maxed out on iOS 9 and still reports accurately.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.