Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
How often usually do mac OS's get updated?

Typically iOS is on a 2-3 week interval, almost like clockwork. OS X may not be as frequent. Sometimes betas come out more frequently in the first couple months and then slow down.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
My friend wants to know, will non-devs get updates from the App Store/automatically? Do you need a dev account to get those updates, or just 10.10 installed?

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
If you are impatient one there is always a way to get what you want, but still, public beta, which should be a more stable version, obviously won't be released one day after developer preview.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
My friend wants to know, will non-devs get updates from the App Store/automatically? Do you need a dev account to get those updates, or just 10.10 installed?

Only people signed up through the Developer program should have the DP at this time. Once Apple opens the Public beta, then non-devs can access Yosemite - it will have its own update schedule separate from developers.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014

If you have registered for beta program, you'll receive the code and install it normally, it should update itself then from DP to Beta and enable you to report the bugs with your Apple ID (Assuming you can't do it now because you got DP version from 3rd party source)

But when you think about this, there should be really at least DP2 in between before Apple jumps to beta versions. And public beta is, well... Beta, NOT Alpha or DP.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Only people signed up through the Developer program should have the DP at this time. Once Apple opens the Public beta, then non-devs can access Yosemite - it will have its own update schedule separate from developers.

If you have registered for beta program, you'll receive the code and install it normally, it should update itself then from DP to Beta and enable you to report the bugs with your Apple ID (Assuming you can't do it now because you got DP version from 3rd party source)

But when you think about this, there should be really at least DP2 in between before Apple jumps to beta versions. And public beta is, well... Beta, NOT Alpha or DP.

Agreed and understood. But if he gets the DP illegitimately, as I told him not to, will he get updates? Or is he left behind because he has no dev account? I'm pretty sure it would deter him if that's the case, which is why I'm asking.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Agreed and understood. But if he gets the DP illegitimately, as I told him not to, will he get updates? Or is he left behind because he has no dev account? I'm pretty sure it would deter him if that's the case, which is why I'm asking.

If he's not getting it via the Developer portal and that key, he won't be getting updates via the app store, since those are tied to the Apple ID and validation of the redemption key from Member Center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.