Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
hello  LVRZ!

I have a brand new bicycle that is very appealing and maybe very theft-ables.
would an Airtag™ on the bike in a discreet location help deter to recover this fine machine?
thanks in advance!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
hello  LVRZ!

I have a brand new bicycle that is very appealing and maybe very theft-ables.
would an Airtag™ on the bike in a discreet location help deter to recover this fine machine?
thanks in advance!
It can't hurt, but with Apple increasing the anti-stalking measures it also makes them not work very well for anti theft. Depending on the price range of your bike and the area you live I would get a strong bicycle specfic chain or U lock. If it's a high end bike or even a mid range bike and you live somewhere like NYC then don't leave it unattended if possible. Buy a cheap bike for transportation.

This video has some information about using AirTags on bicycles. It's his update but has some better info

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
my ? is
will an airtag notify someone if something tagged was moved?
my scenario is getting one for a brand new Trek bike that looks very nice, them passerby tell me
so if the bike his moved, will that send a signal to my phone, watch eye socket
letting me know to alert the camera tech who operates the camera eyeing my beloved Trek?

hmmm
is this too 2032_ish?

Last edited by a moderator:

flummoxer

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
san frantastico
my ? is
will an airtag notify someone if something tagged was moved?
my scenario is getting one for a brand new Trek bike that looks very nice, them passerby tell me
so if the bike his moved, will that send a signal to my phone, watch eye socket
letting me know to alert the camera tech who operates the camera eyeing my beloved Trek?

hmmm
is this too 2032_ish?
Don't think it will do that, haven't tried to set that up for my tag on my bike as it would be too annoying as my bike is constantly moving. It will let you locate it if it moves, and sometimes if I'm at a cafe I keep the app open on my phone in front of me so I can see if it moves. If you do put one on your bike, don't put in the body of the bike as the interference won't let it be very discoverable by passing iphones. I stuck mine under my seat and there are holders for mounting them under bottle cages.

Last edited by a moderator:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
thanks, my purpose would be to feel relaxed during a 6 miles walk along the Gulf of Mexico
were an alert sounded when over-zealous "mall cop" move and relocate bikes.

I wish i can airtag my cycling gloves......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.