Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID worth keeping?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask people's thoughts and opinions on the Black Keys Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad for Mac models with Apple silicon. Also, this is my 1st post and have been loving reading everyone's posts.

I've just got my Mac Studio and went a little extra and purchased the Black Keys Magic Keyboard with Touch ID.
My previous keyboard was the Logitech MX Keys and in the first few days, I was just using my apple watch to sign in and authorise things.

I've only had the Magic Keyboard for a few days and I'm not sure if I'm convinced it's a great purchase and value. I think the black keys on sliver is very swish, it's a great look. I'm still getting used to the keys, which I find slightly firm compared to the Logitech MX Keys but it's a huge improvement over the 1st Magic Keyboard that ran with 3 AA batteries. May be is the age of this keyboard but it's firm!.
I am missing the backlit, which honestly, I'm very surprised that Apple hasn't implemented yet.

Touch ID is great. It does feel like it completes the Mac experience, which is what I'm used to with my 2019 Macbook Pro 16.
In regards to Touch ID on a desktop computer, I don't think I've used it as much in the last 24hrs. Is this the "killer feature" that justifies my $279 AUD price tag? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with Touch ID?

All said and done, maybe I should return the keyboard and get the Magic Trackpad...

Help?

Thanks, everyone!

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I use TouchID constantly, maybe 10-20 times a day. I use unlock with Apple Watch for unlocking the Mac, but I still have to use TouchID very frequently for passwords, and sometimes for Apple Pay.

MX keys is also a very great keyboard, I just think it’s a slightly different use case. If you value design and Touch ID, this Magic keyboard is a no brainer. If you want backlighting, a bit more key travel or just a better deal for your money, I would go with the MX. You can’t really go wrong between the two, but if you don’t need/use TouchID, I think the MX is the way to go

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I use TouchID constantly, maybe 10-20 times a day. I use unlock with Apple Watch for unlocking the Mac, but I still have to use TouchID very frequently for passwords, and sometimes for Apple Pay.

MX keys is also a very great keyboard, I just think it’s a slightly different use case. If you value design and Touch ID, this Magic keyboard is a no brainer. If you want backlighting, a bit more key travel or just a better deal for your money, I would go with the MX. You can’t really go wrong between the two, but if you don’t need/use TouchID, I think the MX is the way to go
Hi Thanks for your feedback!

I've put a tally on my desk and I've used touch ID about 5 times last hour.
So yes it's convenient.

Oreb

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2022
I would have considered buying the black magic keyboard if it was available in the smaller size. A keyboard with a numeric keypad simply takes too much space, and pushes the mouse or trackpad too far away.

I'm still undecided about what accessories to buy for my Mac Studio when it arrives. I think I'll either go with a small white magic keyboard with a white magic trackpad, or a Keychron K3 with a black magic trackpad.

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
I just picked up one of these myself and honestly just locking and unlocking my computer with the TouchID has made the purchase worth it for me. Can’t wait to use for other passwords and Apple Pay purchases.

The keyboard does feel weird with my ergo gel wrist pad (almost like it needs to be stood up more), but I’ll get use to it.

Reactions: gshocked

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
I got one like 3 weeks ago and returned it to Best Buy because the lack of back light. I already had a Logi MX keys which I like because of the back light but then I was missing TouchID as I used it like 30 times a day during the 2 days I had it. Then last week got a BenQ ScreenBar Halo and now that I don't need back light anymore, got the black keys with TouchID again and I'm a happy camper again. I'm keeping the MX Keys inside a drawer in my desk just in case but with the ScreenBar Halo there is no need for back light on the keyboard anymore.

• Love
Reactions: -DMN- and gshocked

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I would have considered buying the black magic keyboard if it was available in the smaller size. A keyboard with a numeric keypad simply takes too much space, and pushes the mouse or trackpad too far away.

I'm still undecided about what accessories to buy for my Mac Studio when it arrives. I think I'll either go with a small white magic keyboard with a white magic trackpad, or a Keychron K3 with a black magic trackpad.

I completely agree about the smaller size in black!. Why this wasn't an available option, no one knows...
I don't really use the number keys except for when I do reports for work but that doesn't happen all the time.

Reactions: bluespark

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I just picked up one of these myself and honestly just locking and unlocking my computer with the TouchID has made the purchase worth it for me. Can’t wait to use for other passwords and Apple Pay purchases.

The keyboard does feel weird with my ergo gel wrist pad (almost like it needs to be stood up more), but I’ll get use to it.
I know what you mean! Touch ID has its conveniences. But, the price for me is still hard to swallow...

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I miss the usb port on the side of the keyboard for the mouse but I love apple's full size keyboards. Back lighting would be nice but touch id > back lighting
When I saw the black keyboard announced, I was convinced that it was backlit...
I think it was just the illusion of white letters on those black keys that made it look like it was glowing ?‍?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I know what you mean! Touch ID has its conveniences. But, the price for me is still hard to swallow...
It's a very expensive keyboard, that's for sure. You can buy the white and silver keyboard with TouchID and no numpad if you want to save more and still have a TouchID keyboard. It will not perfectly match your Mac Studio, but it will still be good looking

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I got one like 3 weeks ago and returned it to Best Buy because the lack of back light. I already had a Logi MX keys which I like because of the back light but then I was missing TouchID as I used it like 30 times a day during the 2 days I had it. Then last week got a BenQ ScreenBar Halo and now that I don't need back light anymore, got the black keys with TouchID again and I'm a happy camper again. I'm keeping the MX Keys inside a drawer in my desk just in case but with the ScreenBar Halo there is no need for back light on the keyboard anymore.
Hmm, interesting solution...
I wish I saw your post a few hours ago! I've returned my Magic Keyboard with Touch ID. There is some instant regret...

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
It's a very expensive keyboard, that's for sure. You can buy the white and silver keyboard with TouchID and no numpad if you want to save more and still have a TouchID keyboard. It will not perfectly match your Mac Studio, but it will still be good looking
I did ask at the Apple store if I could bring the sliver one next to the Mac Studio. It's not a bad combo!
I think the "matching set" is just a suggestion from Apple ?. I'm going to re-assess after WWDC, who knows they may surprise everyone... (smaller black keyboard without Touch ID ?)

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Thanks to everyone's opinions so far!

This community seems so much nicer than in other forms!! ???

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Touch ID is great. It does feel like it completes the Mac experience, which is what I'm used to with my 2019 Macbook Pro 16.
In regards to Touch ID on a desktop computer, I don't think I've used it as much in the last 24hrs. Is this the "killer feature" that justifies my $279 AUD price tag? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with Touch ID?

All said and done, maybe I should return the keyboard and get the Magic Trackpad...

Help?

Thanks, everyone!
I can't comment on the Logitech as I've never used one but the Apple keyboard is fine for me. I'm not one of those people who pound my keys, though. On TouchID... I use it all the time on my Macbook because I do need to fill passwords regularly as I log into various sites. Reaching up and tapping the key is much faster than typing in my password. Note, though, that I use the builtin keychain to store passwords.

Basically, it comes down to how you use the Mac. If you rarely login to things or let the sites you do log into remember your password and just log you in, then it might not be as worth it. It's convenient for Apple Pay, but that is relatively rare at least for me.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
Hmm, interesting solution...
I wish I saw your post a few hours ago! I've returned my Magic Keyboard with Touch ID. There is some instant regret...
Yep, with the BenQ ScreenBar Halo there is no need for backlit anymore. The ScreenBar Halo is so good that I ordered a second one for the ASD that I have in portrait mode.

IMG_1503.jpeg

IMG_1504.jpeg

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I bought one of these and love it. The only thing id change is perhaps having the entire keyboard black, not just the keys

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
For what it's worth, I bought an MX Keys and MX Master 3 to use during COVID work-from-home, and I absolutely love them both. The typing feel on the MX Keys is great (love the short travel, light touch, and slightly concave touch targets) and I love the shape of the MX Master 3. My next-best favorite feature on the MX Keys and Master is the multi-device support, but now that Universal control is out it's considerably faster to just drag across to an iPad than it is to even hit a button or two.

Now that my "work" has moved mostly back to work and I'm in more of a casual posture at home, I am seriously considering taking my MX set to the office and shelling out (oof) for the black TouchID Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad for home use with my MBP and Studio Display. You just can't beat TouchID and multitouch gestures when used with 1Password and OS X.

IMHO you'll be thrilled with either option -- they're both high-end, superb-quality, nice-looking input devices that will satisfy any normal user (obviously not those "mechanical" klacky-keyboard nerds). I tried several times to go that route too, as a new hobby, but just didn't enjoy it as much as I do these modern, quality low-profile keyboards.

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
For what it's worth, I bought an MX Keys and MX Master 3 to use during COVID work-from-home, and I absolutely love them both. The typing feel on the MX Keys is great (love the short travel, light touch, and slightly concave touch targets) and I love the shape of the MX Master 3. My next-best favorite feature on the MX Keys and Master is the multi-device support, but now that Universal control is out it's considerably faster to just drag across to an iPad than it is to even hit a button or two.

Now that my "work" has moved mostly back to work and I'm in more of a casual posture at home, I am seriously considering taking my MX set to the office and shelling out (oof) for the black TouchID Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad for home use with my MBP and Studio Display. You just can't beat TouchID and multitouch gestures when used with 1Password and OS X.

IMHO you'll be thrilled with either option -- they're both high-end, superb-quality, nice-looking input devices that will satisfy any normal user (obviously not those "mechanical" klacky-keyboard nerds). I tried several times to go that route too, as a new hobby, but just didn't enjoy it as much as I do these modern, quality low-profile keyboards.
This is how I ended up with my owning the MX Keys and Master 3 in the first place. Working from home during COVID was a great way to justify such a purchase. ?

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Does anyone else with this keyboard freaking mess with your eyes. It creates the illusion of black spot between the keys. Didn’t happen with the old space grey keyboard but I just have to try and not look at it. Crazy.

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Very Nice! Purchasing one of those today!
I don't have much room on my Ikea Micke desk with only a 50cm (approx 25") width. It would be great to have my hard drives stored under there.

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Does anyone else with this keyboard freaking mess with your eyes. It creates the illusion of black spot between the keys. Didn’t happen with the old space grey keyboard but I just have to try and not look at it. Crazy.
Well without that backlight, it does look dark ?

Reactions: jacklivehere
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.