Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randyf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Just got my brand new black MB up and running, and four keys on the keyboard don't seem to work: the number 9, letters oh and el, and the period -- 4 keys that form a diagonal line. The only way I'm intelligibly typing this now is with an external keyboard. I first assumed the numeric keypad function was on, but I've pressed the F6 function key to no avail.

Which brings up more questions: How do you activate the numeric keypad? Is F6 the function key? Why doesn't it light to indicate when its active? Which keys act as the keypad and why aren't they indicated with tiny numbers on the keys? I've only been a Mac user since 1985, and this is only my fifth Apple laptop! This is, however, my first Intel-based machine. I've done all the OS updates, and Mouse keys are off. Any ideas on what gives with my keyboard?

randyf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Well Apple Support couldn't resolve this over the phone, so they're replacing my MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.