Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shiverme

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
What I’d like to know, is they’ve announced that HDR will follow later in the year, does this mean that the ATV 4K has HLG enabled? As this is the only form of HDR that can be used for live programming, I can’t find any information on it anyway.

jole26

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
What I’d like to know, is they’ve announced that HDR will follow later in the year, does this mean that the ATV 4K has HLG enabled? As this is the only form of HDR that can be used for live programming, I can’t find any information on it anyway.

Yea good question. HLG isn't listed in the specs, but references to HLG were reported to be seen in tvos 12. Probably means it's possible but will need an apple software update to enable it.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Yea good question. HLG isn't listed in the specs, but references to HLG were reported to be seen in tvos 12. Probably means it's possible but will need an apple software update to enable it.
Actually HLG worked fine in tvOS 11 but stopped in 12.

Reactions: jole26

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
Tried to watch the game tonight in HDR in Apple TV app, but compared to watching it on sky, the frame rate looks terrible? Is it just me, my connection maybe. I’m getting the HDR stream but it’s far from smooth

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Tried to watch the game tonight in HDR in Apple TV app, but compared to watching it on sky, the frame rate looks terrible? Is it just me, my connection maybe. I’m getting the HDR stream but it’s far from smooth

You tube stream was trailing intermittently during 90 mins.
Result was amazing.

P.s picture quality was identical ap4k tv and sky q- though I no longer subscribe to by sports so no complaints from free stream euro finals.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
You tube stream was trailing intermittently during 90 mins.
Result was amazing.

P.s picture quality was identical ap4k tv and sky q- though I no longer subscribe to by sports so no complaints from free stream euro finals.

Yeah HDR stream was only available to subscribers. Only had an issue when set to 4K HDR output

Reactions: Donfor39

jole26

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
I subscribe to BT Sport but got no HDR watching via the Apple TV 4K. The HD picture and frame rate seemed fine.

I went back to watching BT Sport via the Sky Q box and enjoyed the glorious night.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
I subscribe to BT Sport but got no HDR watching via the Apple TV 4K. The HD picture and frame rate seemed fine.

I went back to watching BT Sport via the Sky Q box and enjoyed the glorious night.
I defo got the HDR stream on ATV, but your ATV must be set to output HDR, setting it to SDR and having it match frame and range won't work as the BT sport app ignores the match settings completely!

Reactions: jole26 and Donfor39

jole26

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
I defo got the HDR stream on ATV, but your ATV must be set to output HDR, setting it to SDR and having it match frame and range won't work as the BT sport app ignores the match settings completely!
Wow, didn't know that. Cheers.

Shiverme

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Does anyone know if the BT Sport app will stream in 4K HDR on the new ATV? Rather than the 1080HDR it currently does.

jole26

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Does anyone know if the BT Sport app will stream in 4K HDR on the new ATV? Rather than the 1080HDR it currently does.
BT have stated that their app on the ATV4K (2017) cannot do 4K and HDR at the same time because the Apple hardware doesn't support the higher framerate (50/60 fps) with 4K HDR, which is what BT Ultimate broadcasts.

The specs of the ATV4K (2021) says it does support 4K HDR at 50/60 fps.

I guess we won't know for certain until a reviewer tries it with BT Sport.

Shiverme

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Has anyone tried
BT have stated that their app on the ATV4K (2017) cannot do 4K and HDR at the same time because the Apple hardware doesn't support the higher framerate (50/60 fps) with 4K HDR, which is what BT Ultimate broadcasts.

The specs of the ATV4K (2021) says it does support 4K HDR at 50/60 fps.

I guess we won't know for certain until a reviewer tries it with BT Sport.
Has anyone had the chance to try this yet?

jole26

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
I'm thinking this will probably need BT to update their app for this to work on the new ATV.

I seem to remember BT disabled 4K/HDR on the app when they realised it didn't work properly. So likely they'll need to re-enable it.

I might be wrong though 🤷‍♂️

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
Well lets see if they stream the finals tonight and Saturday in HDR. I'd be very surprised if they did but I really hope they do!

Shiverme

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Confirmed on BT Forum that the new ATV 4K that BT Sport Ultimate now works in 4K HDR:

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.