Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Macworld just put up some new benchmarks for the new 17" and 20" c2d iMacs. 10% improvement over previous models (doesn't include the new 24" imac with faster processor and graphics though). And then there's this:

More significant, the 2.16GHz system narrowed the performance gap between iMac and Mac Pro product lines. With twice the number of processor cores, all running faster than the iMac, the Mac Pro had a definite advantage in this match up. But because not all applications and tasks take full advantage of the Mac multiprocessing capabilities, most results showed the Mac Pro between 20 and 30 percent faster than the 2.16GHz iMac. I expect that test results of the new 24-inch model—with its faster graphics and the optional 2.33GHz processor upgrade—could close this performance gap even further.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
If both processors have two cores in them how is it that much of a performance boost. Are they better cores? or just faster Ghz?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'mAMac said:
If both processors have two cores in them how is it that much of a performance boost. Are they better cores? or just faster Ghz?

The Mac Pro has two processors, server models. The iMac has one, mobile variation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.