Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Well, my Canon Powershot S1IS days are numbered. I have a couple stuck pixels after 1.5 years with the camera. I'm tired of playing with my shots to compensate.

So... I took the plunge and purchased the Fujifilm S9000 9MP camera. :rolleyes: I don't want to go DSLR due to my lack of lenses. (aka none). So... I figure the S9000 will be exactly what I need. A near DSLR camera that is a couple hundred cheaper than the entry DSLR cameras. :p

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
just out of curiosity what about this camera set it apart from its similarly-priced peers? eg panasonic fz30, powershot pro1, etc.
btw, if you haven't opened (or ordered) it yet, newegg has it for $573 which is something like $137 below msrp, and b&h has it for $580.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Dog on it! Yup... thanks BV... I didn't know that there was a digital photography forum... Will someone please move this post?

I purchased the camera from Newegg... :p It was a great deal!

I didn't purchase the Canon due to the early failure of my Powershot S1IS.

I didn't purchase the Panasonic due to the proprietary battery pack, poor movie mode, and it uses SD. I already have pro CF cards that I'd like to reuse. :rolleyes: Finally, I'm not too happy with the noise found on the ISO400 pics and low light. The Fuji handles ISO400 with ease. It even supports ISO800 and ISO1600. Although ISO800 is really the max usable setting.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
This is a very very nice camera, and if it was about $100 cheaper I would consider it in my recommendations for a new Yearbook Staff camera. Currently looking at a Lumix, we already have one and the new one looks very nice. The Fuji FinePix S5500 that my brother and my computer teacher both have is a very nice camera, so I would think that this S9000 would be sweet aswell.

The lumix has a 12x zoom, but have you ever zoomed in all the way with even 10x?

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
cgratti said:
I was saying for a few more $$ he could have gotten a great camera with "L" lens quality.

Not 'true' L glass quality though, it has to be said.

plus the s9000 looks just as good if not better in some areas than the proshot.

i would say he made a good choice.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I'm still waiting on it to get here... I bought it just before turkey day... :p Shipping was a little delayed with Thursday being a holiday. I'll post a pic as soon as I get it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
cgratti said:
I was saying for a few more $$ he could have gotten a great camera with "L" lens quality.

That's an interesting thought, though completely inaccurate. In a 5 way test with cameras all using the same Sony sensor as the Powershot Pro 1, the Powershot Pro 1 was toward the bottom. I wouldn't put that much faith into it.

hcuar:

Congratulations! It looks as though you've got a winner there.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Nice camera.manual zoom, how is the zoom, the pro 1 when i tryied it out had a slow zoom that's why i didn't get it... that's the one feature i wish my nikon 8800 had:(

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
hcuar said:
Well... here's a sample pic. One of my first with the camera.

http://homepage.mac.com/lizardonarock/FileSharing9.html

Use the download button to get the pic... It's 4.5 meg!

I'm amazed with the quality. My wife thinks the camera is much easier to use than our old Canon Powershot S1 IS. :eek:

That's a really cute picture, and looks like the camera is working well for you. From a few quick glimpses at the competitors, it looks like you made a good choice for price/features. Have fun with it, and don't forget to post more pics!

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
puckhead193 said:
Nice camera.manual zoom, how is the zoom, the pro 1 when i tryied it out had a slow zoom that's why i didn't get it... that's the one feature i wish my nikon 8800 had:(

The zoom is great. I'm very pleased with the manual zoom ring (it also has a manual focus ring). It much easier to control than a motorized zoom. It also feels much more professional. The only thing lacking is image stabilization. It has an anti blur mode that increases the shutter speed to compensate. (not the same as IS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.