Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
London
Just about to take delivery of a new BMW with their top-of-the-range infotainment/nav and both USB interface and wireless charging*. Once delivered I can add CarPlay for £295 as it's a OTA s/w switch/driven thing, not h/w.

I use Apple Music extensively but not any of the other music services, and, of course, could download tracks to the car's HDD. The phone/contact list transfers automagically via bluetooth and already works via the car's own voice control. Siri integration is already there, of course, and the car will already "read" messages on demand.

So, what does the panel think? Is CarPlay worth the £295? Should I just wait and see what other apps eventually fall into CarPlay and if there's something I really want/like switch it on then?

Ok, ok, I know entirely subjective and only I can answer for myself, but I'd be interested to hear others' input.

*Not hugely useful to me unless I change from my 7+ to an 8+ or X :)

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Just about to take delivery of a new BMW with their top-of-the-range infotainment/nav and both USB interface and wireless charging*. Once delivered I can add CarPlay for £295 as it's a OTA s/w switch/driven thing, not h/w.

I use Apple Music extensively but not any of the other music services, and, of course, could download tracks to the car's HDD. The phone/contact list transfers automagically via bluetooth and already works via the car's own voice control. Siri integration is already there, of course, and the car will already "read" messages on demand.

So, what does the panel think? Is CarPlay worth the £295? Should I just wait and see what other apps eventually fall into CarPlay and if there's something I really want/like switch it on then?

Ok, ok, I know entirely subjective and only I can answer for myself, but I'd be interested to hear others' input.

*Not hugely useful to me unless I change from my 7+ to an 8+ or X :)
I got it in mine. I would also buy it before the rumored Apple CarPlay BMW subscription plan comes into effect. I would not pay for subscriptions for it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a newer BMW with Nav and all and also a GMC truck with Carplay, so understand how it works. Of the two, I prefer the native BMW system as far as Navigation goes. And like you said, even without CarPlay in the BMW you can use Siri for many of the features like reading your text messages for example.

I would never pay for CarPlay in a newer BMW that includes iDrive/NAV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.