Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamarpismo

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
in theory seems easy enough go to time machine get a last of sept date find keychain and go from there copy etc--how do I find keychain? then what?copy restore? and is there a last of sept keychain also stored in the cloud? and can I get it from there?- so, new version of safari, empty keychain, need to restore from time machine. how do I specifically find it on time machine and then what? thanks ...sounds simple, so far not-

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
You should look in ~/Library for /Keychains folder.
Then restore on your Desktop.

Proceed to your /Keychains and rename it (let's say Keychains_old)
Then restart your Mac.
Afterward you can try to access that data (sure thing if you know the password)

There is 2nd way:
Boot to Internet Recovery Mode –> Restore From Time Machine (so you'll have the exact state of your Mac when the backup was finished)

lamarpismo

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
backgourd ...safari was corrupted ...apple tekkie and I reloaded Catalina AND OS ...so no more keychain..I understand I may be able to get the backup keychain from time machine from a week or so ago- that is what I am trying to do if I do as you say I will be looking at my present empty keychain---CORRECT??? I want it off of my time machine a week or so ago and to do a restore copy paste however it is done- sorry to be so thick but new stuff for me thank you very much-

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Sorry. Missed from the previous reply

After you renamed your original keychains folder then move the restored one to ~/Library, then restart.

After that, you should be able to access your Keychains content

lamarpismo

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Sorry. Missed from the previous reply

After you renamed your original keychains folder then move the restored one to ~/Library, then restart.

After that, you should be able to access your Keychains content
ahhh got it.thank you sorry for the confusion...meanwhile safari is hosed again blow off won't close out..had a great senior advisor I am going to suggest to him we reload the entire time safari was ok before they did the usual updates..thanks..

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Copying the old Keychain will probably not work.

iCloud Keychain or Setup Assistant is best bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.