Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gundamvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Hello I am starting a new company(small) Its me and one other person. We will start out doing logo design, graphic design, advertisement and move into animati on and other stuff later. I would like to know what I need to know to start this new business and any advise someone can give me. Also what kind of business license or international license I will need to get. :confused: :)

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
gundamvi said:
Hello I am starting a new company(small) Its me and one other person. We will start out doing logo design, graphic design, advertisement and move into animati on and other stuff later. I would like to know what I need to know to start this new business and any advise someone can give me. Also what kind of business license or international license I will need to get. :confused: :)

Where are you for a start, if you are just local you will probably have to register your company name, open up all sorts of accounts with banks etc, advertise and go after clients, at least thats the way it works on Oz

gundamvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
I am in Japan. I will be going after Japanese clients, but also plan to hit America too. My partner is Japanese. I want to beable to be international.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
gundamvi said:
I am in Japan. I will be going after Japanese clients, but also plan to hit America too. My partner is Japanese. I want to beable to be international.
This might help
Link

Acctually while i'm at it change your title to more reflect your needs

gundamvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Thank you What about for the states. I am just starting a small two person graphic company, so wonder what I have to do. I live in Japan but I am here because on a military base but I am not military. So don't know what the rules are for either country in that :confused: case.

pcproff

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale,FL.
New Company

If you are starting business in a US city you will need to get an occupational license for the service you are going to offer, in that city. I use to own a networking company and I got my company a LLC license so that there is no liability on me and they cannot sue me for personal property. Or, you can become corporated and so on. Your local city hall should have more information regarding this. Then open up a business banking account with your local bank. I had to hire an accountant for my books and so on but, this being a two man/woman operation I do not feel like you will need one. Good luck with this and ask me if you need any other help. Good Luck. P.S. Noone is going to sue you because they do not like your design. They will however sue you if you setup a network, works fine, then one of their moron employees kicks their SQL Server cable and their network goes down and they want to blame it on you and get the job done for free. That is one of the many reasons I took up design :D

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
gundamvi said:

you may have to have one business front while in the background have two companies. For instance, start and LLC or s-corporation or something here in the states and then do similiar in Japan. That way when you do business here or there you'll have a foudation to conduct from.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Why don't you hire a professional to set this up for you.

If you can't afford that, then contact your local government organization that helps small businesses, like the SBA does here in the US.

You'll need to do some of your own homework if you want to run an international business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.