Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
I'm more and more convinced that there is a significant and serious market for a 1Ghz, G3 cube at a low price point.

Is it possible that Apple would *replace* the iMac with a consumer cube?

Think about it, Apple could introduce the cube at an iMac-sans-monitor price point. Let's say, $799. Then offer both LCD and CRT monitors for it. They could even get fancy and design an LCD that attaches to the unit to retain the one-piece functionality of the current iMac.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re imac cube

how about a 1 GHz G3 powered imac cube with 15" inch lcd for $999.00 USD total...and in five colors like the old days

and bundle a ton of software including photoshop elements

that would bring on another imac renaissance for sure

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
jef, what have you been smoking?

Ok, then how about $1199.00 or $1299.00 for that setup?

...still enough to prompt an imac renaissance, even in this recession

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Forget about it. iMacs and Cubes are different things just because the phisical aspects.

The Cube has too many cables, the iMac resolves that problem and is more versatil for schools and bussiness.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
I think Apple won't give up its all-in-one concept. At least no yet.
I also don't think we are going to see a G3 Cube, but rather a LCD iMac. The Cube concept didn't sell. And replacing the iMac would not be a smart move, since it's what identifies Apple (everybody knows the iMac).

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Agrred my,memory.
Imac makes things simple for consumer.
Cube makes things small for semi pros.
Two different machines.

What i do think could make the cube sell is if they altered the hierarchy of the mac range a little.
When the cube was first introduced it didnt fit into a space with a market. But last time apple just put it inbetween the imac and powermac, if you altered the powermac and imac line a little then you can make it fit.
So, i think the cube could fit if the top-of-the-range imac was replaced by it.
It would also re-assert the fact that the imac is a machine for the consumer and only the consumer.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
The iMac saved Apple

The iMac saved Apple a few years a go.. they are not going to replace it that simply. Apple has a long history of the all in one computer. They well change it ... but not replace it. The cube? great computer.. didnt sell very well. Not expandable enuph for pros and too expensive for consumers. Only executives and Mac Heads got them. Too bad.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
iCube vision...

Price killed the cube. Period.

It doesn't make sense to say that the cube didn't sell because it was a cube. The design was fantastic. Apple just missed their target.

The cube is a great idea if targetted to the right market. That market is folks who want a mac with a large/expandable display, but don't want/need the power/price of a G4 tower.

Simplicity (ease of use + setup + portability + lack of cables, etc), style and low price is why the iMac sells. (Though obviously not as well as it originally did.)

I really believe that the attributes of the cube and iMac could be brought together to fill both markets.

Think of the "iCube" as being the a modular computing device to which a monitor can be directly attached (ala the LCD iMac) or cabled separately (ala the Cube). Or, alternatively, could be racked together with other cubes as a redundant server device.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Re: iCube vision...

Originally posted by oldMac
The cube is a great idea if targetted to the right market. That market is folks who want a mac with a large/expandable display, but don't want/need the power/price of a G4 tower.

Hence why if you took out the top of the range imac and replaced it with a cube, and subsequently dropping the price of the cube, then it would sell.

Obsidian

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
bargain basement...

recently, I helped my neighbor pick out a show 500 imac, with it, she purchassed an epson 880, and one of the more compact agfa usb scanners.
the thing I found, is that she had been talking to people about bargain basement pc's, and almost went for one, but it took my insistance to change her mind. she did end up with the imac, but would have gone for the pc if she was not enlightend. for the works, she paid about $2250 canadian, which, I feel, is a good price for the things she got, and I know she does not regret the purchase.
my point is that if there were not people to sway hey thoghts, she would have bought the pc. I find it to be a large problem for selling macs, the comissioned sales staff trying to make a sale, like the pc sellers. if there were more knowledgeable sellers who could sit down and talk to you, like whewre I went (soho computers, victoria), apple would sell more computers. i find alot of people are willing to get info on apples, but are scared away by the 3rd party sales tactics. this is one reason why the apple store is/ and will do well. people put up with this more with pc's because they beleive that they are getting a bargain. i agree that the problem is also in the price, but if the salespeople were not so pushy, then we would see apples market share improve slightly..
anyway, thats my 2cents.

Obsidian

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
cube

oh yeah, i forgot to talk about the cube. One of my closer friends ows one, and I recenly bought for her an extra 512mb pc133 for $55 US over ebay... thats neither here nor there, but i notice that EVERY person she has over, loves her computer, and everything about it. we all know that it was the price of the computer that brought it down- if it was priced lower, it would have found a niche sooner.

anyway, as i read all over, it appears that the g5 will debut in january, and possibly new imacs. i agree that the imac could use a new form factor, but, lcd, at this point, is really more expensive, despite the debate. possibly a diamondtron crt flat screen like the studio display? :).
as i was getting too, the g5's are going to be coming out soo, as they must, but once they do, they wont have any more computers about with the g4. that leaves room for the imacs to possible move up the the apollo g4 as consumer models.

the only problem i see with this is that the imacs can not and will not exceed the speeds of the powerbook lineup, with the g4 anyway. so be is as it may, the powerbook may also be in for a speed revamp some time in the next year.

anyway, thats my 4cents.. heh

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
The cube could work.

For example, I work with Audio and Video, I have my G4 400.

Right now I do not need PCI ports, everything is turning firewire (video capture, audio interfaces, etc).

Now, there are systems that uses PCI for shue like Protools or Avid. But for example.

Mark of the unicorn has the Midi Time Piece that runs with USB, and the 828 audio interface (8 ins and 8 outs) that works with firewire. I can actually run my studio from my powerbook.

The problem with the cube was the price. At that time you got more power with the cube than with the iMac, the problem was that the Cube had the same price as the G4, and the G4 had the PCI ports.

So, to make the Cube cometitive you will have to make a deal... the cube plus a 15" LCD monitor for no more than $100 above the top of the line iMac. That is the only way.
The technical problem with the cube was that it didn't was part of the a line. It was a machine compiting for its place in the market against the iMac.
As a special edition Mac would be perfect, because it was something special.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Or alternatively you could take out the top of the range imac and put in the cube. Which would get rid of most of the competition between the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.