Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Apple introducing the Airport cards in Titanium powerbooks yesterday leads me to believe Airport is very shortly going to become a standard feature across the Apple Line.

The new digital device will probably be a small item which utilizes iTunes to allow people to use MP3 players and MP3 files without the need for a computer.. A mini digital hub.

Not only this but It will most likely use Airports wireless technology to hook up componentry such as Speakers (no doubt Harmon Kardon) and other Apple computers and future compenents as a HUB to store all your music in the one location.

It would be a brilliant idea on Apple's behalf because you would no longer require a computer to get the benefits of the MP3 age, or if a CD Burner option is available on this new device, you could mix and match using iTunes straight from your lving room without a computer. And also, PC users (as I am one) have no programs with the brilliance and simplicty of iTunes, would be able to have a device specific to their needs.. and If you buy apples new device and love it, chances are you'll get a computer soon enough.

Bravo to Apple if this is whats coming. And no doubt by Apple CFO's comments bits and pieces will be coming all over the next year.

Apples inovation is still an industry leader. Whilst sitting having a hair-cut this morning, I was greeted by a Tangerine seethru blow drier... Need I say more. And the words/letters X and Titanium are definately 'in'

I believe this is whats happening. Any comments?

bradbower

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2001
Omaha, NE
getting warmer

Quite possibly it is a stereo component that networks with Macs via Airport to play Quicktime-supported music files and internet radio, but I highly doubt wireless speakers factor into this--that would take far more bandwidth than AirPort has to offer in order to feed quality sound in conjunction with digital music signals, network signals, etc. Indeed, though, standard AirPort acrost the line is an exciting possibility, though it was eventual, and it will also widen the userbase of this product.

dutchmaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2001
While it may be simply an independent mp3 hub... I am hoping that it involves some form of AD/DA converter to get music into your mac as well as simply play it/connect it to your home stereo system. I'm hoping for some sort of combined iTunes jukebox Kerbango type item, with some aspects of say the TASCAM US-428 interface or the M-audio Quattro. a device which would allow not only your MP3's to be played throughout the house but also would enable the user to record using any of the popular audio programs out there (Cubase, Digital Performer, Pro Tools, etc..)and input/convert audio to 32 bit sound . OS X has a lot of potential for expanding the macs audio tools, such as MIDI without the need for OMS. Remember that just last week Apple released press tidbits on how audio for OS X "ROCKS". i'm sure much of this falls under the wishful thinking category as i am a musician and in need of just such an item . What do you think? Any chance. Digtial interfaces and converters are popping up all over in the last few months and we've got to think of the 'creative' side of digital music as well as simply playback.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i must say apple has really done a good job of keeping this one hush-hush. everyone is just making random guesses. and no "spy photos"!!!

this sucks, i wanna know what it is NOW, i can't wait any longer.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I would bet that if anything is done with AirPort, it would be upgrading it to a 2.0 standard where speed increases well beyond 20Mbps and signal could reach say 1000feet. I heard speculation on this a few months ago and now that looks like it might be a possibility. Maybe they will make it compatible with a new "device," what that is I have no idea. Because wireless networking is so popular now, these possibilities would seem logical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.