Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Someone needs to stop the predatory subscription business model.
Oh give me a break! Video games? There is not a single person on the planet that needs video games. They are a TOTAL LUXURY and there is, and could never be, anything "predatory" about charging people any amount of money to play them.

Reactions: strongy

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Oh give me a break! Video games? There is not a single person on the planet that needs video games. They are a TOTAL LUXURY and there is, and could never be, anything "predatory" about charging people any amount of money to play them.
You misunderstand me. Subscription business models for things you should buy once and own needs to be stamped out.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What would be in a consumers interest is to have more competition at the operating system level so that consumers have more than 2 options. Consumers have the luxury of picking from hundreds of different hardware vendors but can only realistically pick from 2 operating systems. Regulators should sort out THAT problem first.

It should be noted that there were more than 2 options. If we look back through history we had many mobile platforms: Palm, Blackberry, WebOS, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, Symbian, Android, and iPhone.

But consumers stopped choosing most of those platforms... and started choosing Android and iPhone. And that's how we got to where we are today.

Those other platforms simply weren't as desirable as Android and iPhone... so consumers stopped choosing those other platforms.

I hear what you're saying... maybe we should have more than 2 mobile platforms.

Well as I said... we tried that. At one point there were 5 mobile platforms competing in the market.

But consumers made their choice. And only 2 platforms ultimately remained.

So you could say competition did work as it was supposed to work.

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
I have only one cable provider and I'm being hamstrung by price and speed. Competition in the form of a choice would be great. Two is competition, one is not. But I guess according to the EU those two cable providers would be gatekeepers. :rolleyes:
You sound like you enjoy being hamstrung by price and speed. Sweet suffering? For what? Definitely better than being regulated by the EU… 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: strongy and I7guy

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
This EU action is designed to appease app developer interests, not consumer interests. Consumers already have access to an unimaginable number of apps at rock-bottom prices, AND have the security of knowing their iPhone can’t easily be compromised by installing apps from 3rd party sources. Consumers aren’t suddenly going to see app prices go down. There is almost no consumer desire for Apple to change its policies.
Consumers currently have no access to open source for example, unless someone brings a build to the App Store and maintains it. I am sure that there are many people across the entire spectrum of types of consumers that would enjoy being able to access what the open source devs come up with (many of which led to iOS features in the jailbreak days, like f.lux for example). Also there‘s Xbox gamestreaming currently being hamstrung by only being able to offer its service through a web app. And I am sure there are quite a few people who wouldn’t mind being able to buy their Kindle books directly from the app.
Don’t just limit yourself to believing that everyone is just using social media, free to play games that border on gambling and subscriptions to mindfulness apps.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Keynote, numbers and pages, yes, because they are apps in the App Store.

Why not also Safari and FaceTime as those are also available in the App Store. What about alternative browser engines used by various browser apps? Would those be "required"?

No they wouldn’t need to allow all apps but app developers couldn’t preference certain platforms if their app was a viable app on another platform, e.g, google would have been required to make their apps for windows phone etc.

I get your thinking that it's risky for a company to create and market a new OS if app developers aren't required to make their apps available for it but I don't think this would be the best approach.

I am not so much bothered by the fact that there are essentially two choices in mobile OS (Android and iOS). The same is largely true in desktop OS with Windows and macOS having about 92% of the market. My issue continues to be more with (potential) anticompetitive behavior among these major players in the respective markets.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/03/ios-13-quickpath-swipe-keyboard-iphone/

While you may not like or have known about them, these types of keyboards do seem popular with some users.
That's fine. But you said:

"Wish you still had that keyboard extension that suddenly vanished from the App Store after Apple implemented their own mediocre swipe-to-type?"

And my answer is "no". I don't have any keyboard extensions....don't see why I would. Phone comes with a keyboard. I use it. Move on with life.

Reactions: strongy

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Nice deflection there. How is this comparable to Microsoft’s action?

In any case, IMHO this is another money grab.

Apple are much worse than Microsoft.

Microsoft was only bundling, Apple doesn't let people install their software on their OS without their permission and they dictate what aspects of your service can be mentioned in your software.

• Angry
  • Disagree

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
That's exactly and all it is.

We need money! Time to fine some more American companies!
American companies are welcome to operate in a law-abiding manner in the EU. They won't get fined for playing by the rules.

It doesn't take an EU investigation or genius lawyer to figure out right from the beginning that their practices may be considered anticompetitive and violating the law. They deliberately took that risk, hoping they'd get away with it.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Disagree

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Nice deflection there. How is this comparable to Microsoft’s action?

In any case, IMHO this is another money grab.

It's similar in that Microsoft, Apple and other dominant companies have been investigated, fined, etc. for antitrust violations and no one is getting a pass here. And none of them deserve to. In this particular situation, however, Microsoft doesn't restrict sideloading or alternative app stores on Windows the way Apple does on iOS so Microsoft isn't violating the law/legislation.

Reactions: Quantumodi

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's similar in that Microsoft, Apple and other dominant companies have been investigated, fined, etc. for antitrust violations and no one is getting a pass here. And none of them deserve to. In this particular situation, however, Microsoft doesn't restrict sideloading or alternative app stores on Windows the way Apple does on iOS so Microsoft isn't violating the law/legislation.
Apple never allowed sideloading. Microsoft with windows sdks encourages it.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Apple never allowed sideloading.

Thats incorrect.

FM9DMGFUcBQplii.jpg

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
They never allowed sideloading similar to android. Yes one could sideload from the Mac, but that’s not what this is about.
IMHO, the term sideloading is non-sensical when we’re talking about macOS. Even for iOS, it’s non-sensical. Either you can install an app or you cannot. It depends on the OS design. Legislating how an OS should work is never the job of any regulatory bodies.

Reactions: strongy and 4743913
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.