Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Hi team,
I have been in spired to sign up having seen the post last night about hitting the points.
So I have now signed up with my iMac, *and soon will be on Mini as well (its going to be a home server).
Im only using standard configs but if you have any advice to help the team then please let me know

Dave

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Hello Dave, welcome to team 3446

Glad to got you on board. Sounds like you have the basic install done and started folding ?

Make sure to also get a passkey http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/

This will enable the QRB quick return bonus after 10 successful return assignments. Once eligible for QRB the points getting higher when you finish WU as fast as possible. Means not shutdown the Mac which crunching as WU.
Keep the passkey for yourself; no need to share with anyone.

Else if you face issues let us know and share the log file in case.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Hello Dave, welcome to team 3446

Glad to got you on board. Sounds like you have the basic install done and started folding ?

Make sure to also get a passkey http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/

This will enable the QRB quick return bonus after 10 successful return assignments. Once eligible for QRB the points getting higher when you finish WU as fast as possible. Means not shutdown the Mac which crunching as WU.
Keep the passkey for yourself; no need to share with anyone.

Else if you face issues let us know and share the log file in case.

Hi there, and thanks for the welcome
Ive already got the passkey setup and have hit 3 WU (working units??).
Still new to the terminology sorry

As soon as i get my Mini ill have that setup running as well, to help too

Dave

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
No problem at all.
Am i likely to be getting the QMB bonus to help as well?

Ill have it running on a Mini Mack i7 soon

Dave

U got a 2012 i7 mini? I've been running about 15,000 PPD on mine with it on light settings. If you run full throttle the machine will get quite hot and the fan will spin up.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
U got a 2012 i7 mini? I've been running about 15,000 PPD on mine with it on light settings. If you run full throttle the machine will get quite hot and the fan will spin up.

Will have shortly. (hopefully).
And it will be running 24/7 as a local media server so lots of spare power

Dave

----------

Rank 703 now :D

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Will have shortly. (hopefully).
And it will be running 24/7 as a local media server so lots of spare power

Dave

----------

Rank 703 now :D

Nice! I really like those machines. I've been running FAH for a little over a year and I'm closing in on 6,000,000 points so they definitely can make a difference. It's nice that they are made with low power components so the energy bill is barely impacted.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Nice! I really like those machines. I've been running FAH for a little over a year and I'm closing in on 6,000,000 points so they definitely can make a difference. It's nice that they are made with low power components so the energy bill is barely impacted.

Makes my 24,999 look tiny haha

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Out of interest I've put my Air to Do some quickly while I'm using it but its not doing much

19:33:52: CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4650U CPU @ 1.70GHz
19:33:52: CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
19:33:52: CPUs: 4
19:33:52: Memory: 8.00GiB
19:33:52:Free Memory: 6.86GiB
19:33:52: Threads: POSIX_THREADS
19:33:52: OS Version: 10.10
19:33:52:Has Battery: true
19:33:52: On Battery: true
19:33:52: UTC Offset: 0
19:33:52: PID: 199
19:33:52: CWD: /Library/Application Support/FAHClient
19:33:52: OS: Darwin 14.0.0 x86_64
19:33:52: OS Arch: AMD64
19:33:52: GPUs: 0
19:33:52: CUDA: Not detected

Is it not powerful enough to use?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I wouldn't bother to fold on an Air ... Not sure if the amount of heat could be transported well enough.
I did it once on a similar spec'ed Windows 8 Tablet, I felt very sorry for the CPU crunching the whole day getting few dozen of points. But hey, once started a WU I finish it. But made sure to never fold again on that tablet :eek:

Same reason I hardly ever fold on my iMac ... Just getting too hot for my taste with not enough airflow

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
I think I might join the fold (as it were) as my usual SETI has run out of work units to process.
I can't see FAH on BOINC though - does it use another application?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I think I might join the fold (as it were) as my usual SETI has run out of work units to process.
I can't see FAH on BOINC though - does it use another application?

That would be great if you join the team #3446

And yes, dedicated software required as it's not part of BOINC; details here

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/ ; also make sure to get a passkey early enough for bonus points later (which really boost the stats)

Current version is 7.4.4 and runs well under Win, Mac OS X and Linux ; No GPU under Mac OS though

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
That would be great if you join the team #3446

And yes, dedicated software required as it's not part of BOINC; details here

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/ ; also make sure to get a passkey early enough for bonus points later (which really boost the stats)

Current version is 7.4.4 and runs well under Win, Mac OS X and Linux ; No GPU under Mac OS though

Thanks - joined up with the PC, will do the Macs shortly. No probs with the GPU on Mac - it's an Intel GMA950 on the Mini!

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
OK, I'm in, but I can't find a client that will work on my PPC macs, and I'm having trouble with the install for my Raspberry Pi.

PC and Mac Mini grinding away. Sadly my work firewall blocks the download of work units for my quad i7 PC and quad Mac Pro.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
but I can't find a client that will work on my PPC macs, and I'm having trouble with the install for my Raspberry Pi.

... Sadly my work firewall blocks the download of work units for my quad i7 PC and quad Mac Pro.

Out of luck in both cases ... No folding work for old PPC client, never anything for a RBPI. And regarding your work environment also not much you could do. Anyway you would need to talk with your manager to be able to run folding at work. (Would be great to have that power on the team though)

But good to know the other two systems are up and running :)

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Hi guys
Right, I've got the mini, sadly it's a 2014 mid model but never mind.
I've got that running the f@h work.

But when I go back to my main rig and run the f@h software it will not connect.
Any ideas why?

Dave

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Could be several reasons. Firewall setting, sandboxing, only one Core configured, ....

Please copy the actual log file with initial part (system info and config) and the part with error messages.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Could be several reasons. Firewall setting, sandboxing, only one Core configured, ....

Please copy the actual log file with initial part (system info and config) and the part with error messages.
Hi mate
It is odd as it worked before turning the other unit on.
I just get the connecting message and can't access any menu or anything

Dave

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Hi mate
It is odd as it worked before turning the other unit on.
I just get the connecting message and can't access any menu or anything

Dave

Connecting from one system to another via FAHControl ? In that case you would need t make sure the remote password is set on both sides or fully disabled. Any screenshot ?

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Just joined back up with the team. I looked at my stats, and November 2008 was the last time I completed a WU. Yikes. I think at that time, I was running F@H on an iMac G5 2.0 GHz and several old PCs at my parents' house.

Needless to say, today's machine (2.4 GHz i7 MacBook Pro) is much faster and makes the 4-5 machines I had running before look like a joke. Looking forward to the day OpenCL folding comes to OS X.

Looking forward to contributing (again) to team 3446!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.