Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
When the new firmware comes... Well we still be able to Use Instaler.app ? or well that be blocked?? I hope not!!! please someone let me know seems like apple is locking the phone pretty good with this update!! WHY APPLE!! WHY!!?? :rolleyes:

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
When the new firmware comes... Well we still be able to Use Instaler.app ? or well that be blocked?? I hope not!!! please someone let me know seems like apple is locking the phone pretty good with this update!! WHY APPLE!! WHY!!?? :rolleyes:

I honestly dont know why people ask these questions....none of us here are apple devs so we have no idea what they are coding for the next update...

on that note...whatever apple does, it shouldnt take long for the devs at nullriver to get past it and im willing to be we will have installer again within a couple days of the update.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I honestly dont know why people ask these questions....none of us here are apple devs so we have no idea what they are coding for the next update...

on that note...whatever apple does, it shouldnt take long for the devs at nullriver to get past it and im willing to be we will have installer again within a couple days of the update.

Heh.. true.. Thanks!

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
You're absolutely right that only the Apple code writers know what's in the update. Waiting until the update comes out and having knowledgable people examine it is the true proof. Until then speculation is all we have. So with that in mind and wishing to speculate (also admitting in advance that I cn be completely wrong), I would imagine that AppTap and the like are not targets. I seem to remember reading a news release from Apple that said that while they had no intentions of blocking third-party applications for the iPhone, they were not responsible for any maladay that would come from the update. Apple in obviously in the business to make money. They make money by selling product and also from each customer that subscribes to the service. Until the release of the iPhone in Europe, there was not any urgency for Apple to prevent unlocking. They had no contracts there and could sell more iPhones. Now they are going to make money from sales and service agreements. So preventing unlocking is in their best interest. Personally I love iToner and use it. Since Apple now wants to make money off ringtones, they might try to block this app. As for AppTap, there is no reason why Apple should target this program. Of course they probably don't care too much about collateral damage to unofficial installer apps. I used AppTap, until yesterday when I did a Restore on the phone to remove it - just in case. I like AppTap, except for the inability to easily remove it. I just hope that the Restore is sufficient. The NullRiver guys are pretty good. I'll look forward to re-installing if safe. Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth (probably not worth even that).

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
My suggestion is don't update your firmware until other people have had a chance to test it out (meaning, wait until the guys who made the installer.app actually see if it works. They have a better chance of fixing their iPhones if something goes wrong then most people do).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.