Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
So what is everyone's guess on Apple making a new computer with a new form factor now that they are moving to Intel parts? What I mean is an offering substantially different than what they have now, so a laptop with a 13" widescreen LCD would be awesome, but not a drastic departure from the norm. A tablet would be a whole new form factor, for example.

I really don't know what to think about Apple's offerings right now. They, to me, are lacking a lower-middle class computer. I mean that the mini is the low end machine (and I have one and love it, so don't take this the wrong way), the iMac is more an upper-middle end device (it's significantly over $1000 and non-upgradable, mostly), and the PowerMacs START at $2000. There's not much in that gap from mini to iMac.

I'm hoping that with a greater selection of component options from intel they introduce a new cube machine as the 30th anniversary Mac (but not a limited edition system like the 20th was). What would basically be a headless iMac with an upgradable graphics card and CPU in an all aluminum case (that was used as a big heat sink for everything inside) about the size of 3 minis stacked on top of one another for $800-1000 depending on configuration would be my ideal (desktop) Mac.

That's something I hope to see, at least. Any new Mac form factors you guys would like to see come out of the Apple/Intel partnership?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.