Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Fan Software Might Fix the Noise Problem

Sounds like fan speed management software might be able to keep that big fan from needing to crankup to the max every few minutes if someone's software solution told it to blow slowly all the time instead of freaking out every few minutes due to no blowing in between spurts.

Looks like an Apple .1 update could include this fix Ñ or a third party freeware item.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Energy saver under Jaguar has a More Options button. Try making it so that only the display goes to sleep. Could be the cause of the problem if it tries to make the processor go to sleep as well.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by djmcave
Maybe Apple should start thinking on water cooling or something

Knowing Apple they would have to do something revolutionary, so all for dry ice or liquid nitrogen raise your hands.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
hehe woiops this it it :D

Attachments

• test.logo.6.png
    test.logo.6.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 229

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Too Loud? Modify it...

It would be nice if Apple didn't make these so loud, but I'm sure that it's nothing a little modification can't fix.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
xserve and ddr powermac

i have an xserve and one of the new ddr powermacs. the xserve is amazingly loud. it has those leaf blower type heatsinks on both processors.it was so loud we had to move it to another room in our business, couldnt hear customers talking to us,lol. the powermacs seem normal. it kicks in pretty high with noise right when it turns on though. one thing that doesnt make sense is that my powerbook/500 g3 with 512mgs of ram boots up slightly faster than my dual 1ghz ddr with 256ram, maybe it is the ram but i thought the more ram you had the longer it took to start up, any info would be of any help. thanks.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.