Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evergreen

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
very useful

The more power the better. Try rendering out an animation with radiosity on a single 833 and a quad 833, then tell me you don't need the quad.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
a Quad-G4 should be possible... whether you or I need such a beast is an individual decision.

It's not completely out there... I think there were quad machines back in the day... as add-on boards... I think Daystar perhaps?

arn

msiegal

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2001
Dayton, OH
How could you doubt monkeybusiness... it's so obvious he is of higher understanding than us... do you think he's Jesus?

It's okay to be wrong big guy. The G4 processor is capable of being crossbared in multiples of two according to the tech sheet from Motorola.

msiegal

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2001
Dayton, OH
Yeah, I liked Beevis & Butthead too, then I started Junior High.

I need a Quad G4. I edit a lot of digital video using programs like Final Cut Pro 2.0 which can take advantage of multiple processors. The faster I get a job done, the more money I can make. With a Quad G4, rendering jobs that would take a minute or two on my G3s or a minute on my G4, would take a matter of seconds.

I'm not saying there's a huge market for quads, but I'm saying is there's a good number of digital businesspeople/artists like me who could use the oomph, and more importantly for Apple, would be willing to pay for it.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Beavis and Monkey Business

How the hell did we get from quad processors too Beavis and Butthead???

Get a life Monkey boy

Who needs quads? The entire Apple high-end market would. Thats why we sell to "Creative Professionals". Try running Final Cut 2 and getting fast results on a single processor and you may understand why Quads would be good.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
sorry about the b&b-h thing, it was late

but jobs isn't that dumb-sure it would be could for extreme pros, but stevie knows that the cost of developing the quads would top the sales of them, leaving our good buddy broke and us with no good computers-tear :'(

msiegal

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2001
Dayton, OH
Good point...provisionally.

One must look not far back into the history of Apple to the PowerPC roll out days of the mid-nineties. Apple predicted that the more entry-level 68k-based machines would be more popular than the latest 601-based machines, so it made a huge supply of 68k machines and a smaller one of 601.

When the fall buying season rolled around, Apple was stuck with warehouses full of cheap computers no one wanted anything to do with, and one of the greatest PowerMac shortages of all time.

I'm willing to put money on the fact that there are a bunch of people like me with enough pent-up demand for ultra high-performance computers around the $5000 dollar mark.

A limited supply of these machines would be profitable. With the pending release of Puma, they could be real screamers.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I have heard...

I have heard that Apple well come out with a rack mount server that well boast upto 4 CPU's I have read that 4 is possible and that OS X Server 2.0 well Support them and take full advantage of them. With Apple's new OS's being UNIX based... this is a really good move. I am a server Admin. I would love to see Apple servers in my racks next to my Sun Servers. Or better yet... Im place of them. They would make one hell of a Carracho server!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.