Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

headshot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Hi there, just jumped over from MacNN after I found the

http://guides.macrumors.com/Universal_Binary_Games

....on a Google search, it's my first night with my new 2.66 Macintel (from a G5) and this was the list I've been searching for. Awesome Kudos to whoever made that up...

Wondering if there could be any table in the works like this but one that will illustrate performance records/reviews for Windows Games running under BC, Plls or Crossover, and their comparisons vs. PPC only (non UB) running under Rosetta and so forth. I think that's the next step considering a great game like BF1942, for example might not see the UB anytime soon. So would it run alright under BootCamp vs. Rosetta? Etc. Also, problems that may arise in on-line issues. I think all of this could be covered under the table format like in the link above.

Great work so far, this helps my selection process much better now.

-matt

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Its a decent idea... the only thing is that you can pretty much assume off the bat whether or not a game will run in rosetta.

absolutely anything that is spec intensive beyond about 1ghz g4 will require either a UB patch or be run in bootcamp.

Personally I've switched almost all my pc gaming to bootcamp. The only games I keep on the mac partition are UT 2004 and Halo.

How is the mac pro compared to the G5? Is it considerably faster, or faster as in "you'd only notice if you were encoding a 500mb file" faster?

headshot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Hmmm, the only thing I've tried was COD2 last night since that's UB.
I thought i was terrific on the G5 Dual 2. And that had a 56k ATI 9800 card.
It's not like it's "faster", per se but so much smoother. The shadow detail is great, and now I know what fps is, lol.

Later on I'll try some of the others a la Rosetta, like COD 1.
So is there anything that you have probl.ems with in Bootcamp?

Any issues with on-line compatibility whatsoever?

I haven't really compared anything else yet, but I'm surprised at how nice Photoshop CS1 runs. I was ready for the worst. But then I've only batched a bunch of 4x6/360 jpegs, not tried a 24x36 yet!

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Sounds awesome... I've always wanted an apple professional desktop ( can't call them powermacs now can we?).

As far as bootcamp goes, there are no compatibility issues at all. Once you install that little bit of bios code, everythings just like it would be if you had a PC.

I have fable and need for speed carbon on my macbook pro - generally bootcamp runs titles a bit better than they would even in OS X. Having to reboot into windows is a bit of a chore, but overall its not as big of a pain as some people seem to think.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the next best thing to actually having apple support gaming on the macintosh themselves...

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
I believe battle field 1942 is UB, I just brought call of duty 2 its great on my macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.