Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miguel3451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
Castlemaine, Australia
The hard drive in my old MacBook Pro died recently and so I replaced it with a brand-new 480 gig SSD. When I tried to boot the old darling back up again, it first of all started some sort of Internet download and then stopped after a while with an Error 501. I shut it down again and tried to find some information about Error 501 (without much success) so I fired it up again and now I get a folder icon with a question mark in the middle and I can progress no further.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I might go from here?

1EE5E18E-5494-4A16-8B2A-0D86FFED26AF.jpeg

Miguel3451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
Castlemaine, Australia
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I don’t have “About this Mac” available but it is a 13” model from around 2013 (I think). Would the serial number help?

480445AB-3B33-4E86-ACD0-45833AC9C074.jpeg

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I don’t have “About this Mac” available but it is a 13” model from around 2013 (I think). Would the serial number help?

View attachment 892107

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) C1MK1EJBDTY3

This device was made during the week beginning January 1, 2013. Making it more than 7 years old.

If a flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

I've performed an upgrade for the same model before.

You can upgrade it to 16GB using 2x8GB DDR3 1600 MHz SODIMM.

Check if you install the SSD properly.

Reactions: Miguel3451

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There's a possibility that it could be a defective or marginal ribbon cable that connects the drive to the motherboard.

When these go bad, it "looks like" the drive is bad, but it's not -- it's just the cable.

I would take the back off, take the drive out, GENTLY remove the cable, and check it very carefully.
Then, reassemble and try again.

Go to ifixit.com for the correct part number for the cable. You can either buy from them or online.
It might not be the cable, but then again, it might be.

Having said that...
BEFORE YOU DO THE ABOVE, TRY THIS:
Your OP did not say whether you tried to boot to internet recovery or not.

Do this:
Boot to INTERNET RECOVERY -- NOT to "the recovery partition".
Command-OPTION-R at boot. You'll need your wifi password.

Can you get to internet utilities?
If so, open Disk Utility and ERASE the internal drive.
Try Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format.
Then... quit Disk Utility, open the OS installer, and try again.

Miguel3451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
Castlemaine, Australia
Thanks to everyone who looked at and responded to my cry for help.

It turned out to be a combination of two things -

(1). I wasn't using the OPTION-Command-R keystroke to start it up in Internet Recovery Mode.

(2). More research on the Error 501 indicated that it may have something to do with loss of Internet connectivity. This tied in with another observation that I seemed to be having sporadic, very short dropouts in my Internet connection recently. I changed over to the Internet connection on my phone (which a bit slower but stable) and tried again. SUCCESS. I reached the Recovery Utilities screen and from there I was able to erase the drive and install Catalina without any further problems.

Once again, thanks for your help and I am pleased to report a successful outcome.

Reactions: Hexley

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks to everyone who looked at and responded to my cry for help.

It turned out to be a combination of two things -

(1). I wasn't using the OPTION-Command-R keystroke to start it up in Internet Recovery Mode.

(2). More research on the Error 501 indicated that it may have something to do with loss of Internet connectivity. This tied in with another observation that I seemed to be having sporadic, very short dropouts in my Internet connection recently. I changed over to the Internet connection on my phone (which a bit slower but stable) and tried again. SUCCESS. I reached the Recovery Utilities screen and from there I was able to erase the drive and install Catalina without any further problems.

Once again, thanks for your help and I am pleased to report a successful outcome.
Re: Internet Error 501

Reboot your ISP's "modem". Check the lights of your "modem" If their is a error light or

Reactions: Miguel3451
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.