Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Yay! I took my iBook and replaced the worthless 30GB hard drive to a wonderful 100GB. It's just a 5400 rpm drive, so it shouldn't be too hard for my iBook to run, right? I'm installing the OS now and it seems to be working okay.

Also, I bought a broken 12" Powerbook from a local ad lately and turned it on last night. The seller told me it had a broken screen. I turned it on for the first time last night and saw that the screen wasn't broken at all. If I put it under direct light, I can barely make out the main desktop. This doesn't mean I need to replace the LCD but that... I need to change the... inverter? I'm not positive. I'm not a pro at fixing computers but it's become a fun hobby for me. Wondering how easy it is to replace an inverter? I didn't see a take-apart guide on ifixit.com so I'm wondering if anyone can help me out?

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Whoops, now I have a problem. I tried to eject the OS cd. The 'eject' button works fine and the CD comes about 1/4 of the way out. But then the drive latches back onto it and loads it again. I tried to press the 'eject' key and then attempt to yank out the disc when I saw it but couldn't. Anyone know how I can get the CD out? Am I gonna have to take apart the computer again? :confused:

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
The backlight replacement for the aluminum powerbook reqires special disasembly: ALOT OF WORK. its easier and MUCH less time consuming to just replace the entire LDC Panel. You can do it yourself for ~295 from wegnermedia.comits warranteed 359 for THEM to replace it. = extra $60
OR
you can buy one off ebay for cheaper... not guaranteed though.

Get the take apart manual for your model if you try this.

you could try replacing the inverter and see if they fixes the lighting problem... it cost much less: around $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.