Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kahn1515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
OK so I have a 80gb hard drive I want to replace my 60gb hard drive in my macbook with but I have a few questions first...

DO I just need to swap out the drives then stick in the restore disks then Iam good to go?

O yea and Iam using the hard drive that cme out of my ps3 which is yur standard 2.5" 5400 drive..will it need to be reformated or anything??

Thanks guys

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Yes it will need to be erased & partitioned, when you boot up with the install disks you can use disk utilities to do this.

kahn1515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
??

OK so how do I erase and partion the drive? Furthermore can I use my g/f's restore disks w/ leopard because I no longer have mine?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
OK so how do I erase and partion the drive? Furthermore can I use my g/f's restore disks w/ leopard because I no longer have mine?

Your best bet is to get an external enclosure or Universal Drive Adapter (from Other World Computing) and clone the internal drive to your 80 gig drive. The steps for this are:

1. Connect the new drive to the enclosure/UDA and plug it into your Mac's USB port.
2. Launch Disk Utility and find the new drive (not it's partition, which would show up as a volume below and indented from the drive).
3. Select the Partition tab and choose 1 partition from the pull-down. Under Options, make sure you select GUID.
4. Initialize the drive.
5. Download Carbon Copy Cloner (free) and clone your old drive to your new drive. This will take a couple of hours through a USB port.
6. Once cloned, replace your old drive with the new one.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
Your best bet is to get an external enclosure or Universal Drive Adapter (from Other World Computing) and clone the internal drive to your 80 gig drive. The steps for this are:

1. Connect the new drive to the enclosure/UDA and plug it into your Mac's USB port.
2. Launch Disk Utility and find the new drive (not it's partition, which would show up as a volume below and indented from the drive).
3. Select the Partition tab and choose 1 partition from the pull-down. Under Options, make sure you select GUID.
4. Initialize the drive.
5. Download Carbon Copy Cloner (free) and clone your old drive to your new drive. This will take a couple of hours through a USB port.
6. Once cloned, replace your old drive with the new one.

I agree, use Carbon copy cloner and clone your hard drive in a USB enclosure.

yayaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
You'll need a T-8 Torx screwdriver to access the Macbook HD. Don't get burnt on this step. I was eager to swap HD's on my Macbook until I ran into the screw that I couldn't get out.

Do you have Leopard? I just restore from Time Machine onto my new HD when I swapped mine out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.