Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I have a Lutron hub controlling lots of caseta lights in the home, an ecobee lite 3 thermostat, and Yale access 2 in the HomeKit with an TV4K the hub.

My question is if I upgrade the architecture will things still work? I have a MB Pro that once I upgrade would not work because of its age, but we have new iPhones and watches.

I cannot afford a system failure.

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
I held off upgrading to the new architecture for the same reason, but everything worked fine.
I have one ATV ethernet I keep as my hub, one wifi and three HomePod Mini's.

Reactions: whsbuss

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I held off upgrading to the new architecture for the same reason, but everything worked fine.
I have one ATV ethernet I keep as my hub, one wifi and three HomePod Mini's.
Thanks... I'll wait for after the holidays when I have more courage!!

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I have a Lutron hub controlling lots of caseta lights in the home, an ecobee lite 3 thermostat, and Yale access 2 in the HomeKit with an TV4K the hub.

My question is if I upgrade the architecture will things still work? I have a MB Pro that once I upgrade would not work because of its age, but we have new iPhones and watches.

I cannot afford a system failure.
Should work fine, the changes are invisible to the user. I have many, many varied devices and hubs and everything (except an old mac book air) worked fine. Even all of my Homebridge devices worked just the same as before.

Last edited:
Reactions: b17777 and whsbuss

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
basically it just makes it a bit quicker to load status of devices. Especially when you're accessing remotely.

Old Arch - each controller (iPhone, Mac, etc...) will poll each of your home devices individually for status when you launch the home app

New Arch - one of your hubs maintains current status for all of your devices, and your phone will ask the hub for the current state of your entire house.

I think as far as the individual devices are concerned (bulbs, homebridge, etc...). they see all the commands and status polls the same. it just happens that the polls are coming from a home hub, and not your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.