Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I just got my new HomePod yesterday. It appears to be stuck at iOS16.0 and there doesn't seem to be a way to update it. my Eero shows its on my network, I can play music from my phone to it, and I see it in HomeKit... yet it says "this accessory is not responding" It can get the weather for me yet it won't control any of my HomeKit devices. Super frustrating. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just got my new HomePod yesterday. It appears to be stuck at iOS16.0 and there doesn't seem to be a way to update it. my Eero shows its on my network, I can play music from my phone to it, and I see it in HomeKit... yet it says "this accessory is not responding" It can get the weather for me yet it won't control any of my HomeKit devices. Super frustrating. I'm not sure how to fix it.
If you own a Mac, plug it into the Mac and update the software that way.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
If you own a Mac, plug it into the Mac and update the software that way.
Funny my apple tech friend said the same thing but as far as I can see there is zero way to plug a full size HomePod into a Mac. I fixed it with a second factory reset and it finally let me download a firmware update so it seems to be working now . Hopefully it stays that way. I was worried it was the HomeKit architecture 2.0 messing with me

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Funny my apple tech friend said the same thing but as far as I can see there is zero way to plug a full size HomePod into a Mac. I fixed it with a second factory reset and it finally let me download a firmware update so it seems to be working now . Hopefully it stays that way. I was worried it was the HomeKit architecture 2.0 messing with me
Oh snap. My bad. Completely forgot about the new HomePod and assumed you were taking about the Mini. Regardless, glad you got it fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.