Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Just my $0.02. Do you really need a display or just a better connection between the Home Kit Hubs, iPhone / iPad.? Home Kit should also be updated for better navigation.

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
I think the answer is “Yes” to both your questions.

I would love to get a Homepod with a screen, like an Echo Show. A device like that, running tvOS, could sit in my kitchen and be a Homekit hub, Thread border router, and also be able to do Facetime, Apple Music, Apple TV+, and pretty much everything else an Apple TV can do. The speakers don’t need to blow the doors off the place…just a nice sound similar to a Homepod mini.

The answer to your second question is also a “yes” because that communication between hubs and devices has been so hit and miss over the years that it makes it super hard to recommend Homekit to anyone. There are days when it is flawless and then the next day there’s all kinds of issues, for no apparent reason. Every year we hold out hope that the next iOS cycle will make it better and it always seems to fall short. I’ll keep hoping, but at this point, a person almost has to be happy if commands are successful most of the time instead of all the time.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
I think the answer is “Yes” to both your questions.

I would love to get a Homepod with a screen, like an Echo Show. A device like that, running tvOS, could sit in my kitchen and be a Homekit hub, Thread border router, and also be able to do Facetime, Apple Music, Apple TV+, and pretty much everything else an Apple TV can do. The speakers don’t need to blow the doors off the place…just a nice sound similar to a Homepod mini.

The answer to your second question is also a “yes” because that communication between hubs and devices has been so hit and miss over the years that it makes it super hard to recommend Homekit to anyone. There are days when it is flawless and then the next day there’s all kinds of issues, for no apparent reason. Every year we hold out hope that the next iOS cycle will make it better and it always seems to fall short. I’ll keep hoping, but at this point, a person almost has to be happy if commands are successful most of the time instead of all the time.
Wouldn't a iPad mini do all that for you? Maybe for close to the same $.

Reactions: erihp

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
Wouldn't a iPad mini do all that for you? Maybe for close to the same $.
Possibly. I just like the idea of a stationary device that wouldn‘t wander off with someone, leaving me to figure out where it is. :). I don’t really have any wall space to mount anything where I want this to go in my house.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
the ipad is the answer. they just need a way to create a customizable, dashboard-like view in the home app with all of the scenes and sensor data you want to see on one screen. the 'favorites' view doesnt cut it.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
the ipad is the answer. they just need a way to create a customizable, dashboard-like view in the home app with all of the scenes and sensor data you want to see on one screen. the 'favorites' view doesnt cut it.
Great idea for someone who can create an app. I could see a kitchen with appliances connected and controlled with Voice (Siri) along with recipes. Finely Apples where they belong. :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.