Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
No one really knows for sure, but the timeframe for an update is relatively narrow. If you go by the 6-month update rule, the iBook would get its update in November.

The latest we're likely to see an update (and rumours have suggested it to be more likely) is at MacWorld San Francisco, in early January. If this is what happens, it's very likely that the next iBook model will be a substantial redesign, and not just a speed-bump. Among some of the more interesting rumours have been that there would be a 13" screen in the current 12" case size, that the lineup will move to G4s like the iMac did, and (the most fanciful of them all) we'll see the current 14" iBook replaced with a 14" widescreen model.

No matter what happens, hold on to your money if you want to get the most out of a new iBook; the iBook 700 we have now is great, but it could be the end of its generation.

nosaj56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks Postal for the reply!:D I just wanted to know because my Mom wants an iBook by the end of October. (When her birthday is.) I want to wait for the next model, maybe the new one will have a G4!:cool:

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
it will be good with no g3 it will still keep it fairly affordable

Anne

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2002
ram deal

Now that Apple has the double your RAM for $40 deal, do you revise your predictions on an update this or next month? I hope not.... but I'm so indecisive about when to buy.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
13" iBook

I for one am absolutely in love with the curent iBook form factor, but I would be thrilled with a 13" screen in the current 12" case. Such a cool idea! As for everything else, all I really want is a video bump (maybe to a Radeon 32 mb card) and a processor speed bump. A G4 would be nice, but it's not necessary to sell the line. Still, an iBook with a 13" screen, 32mb video system, and a G4 running around 800 MHz sounds a whole lot like a TiBook. The only way any of this is going to happen is if the TiBooks get a big speed bump along with the iBooks at MWSF. Still, I'm buying then no matter what.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Heat wise the sticking with the G3 chip makes sense, I would love to see an iBook with a G3 900mhz and a 32meg ATI card. The t-books are to fragile, my Mac tech/sales guy has had to replace hinges, keyboards etc on those ;\

Oh well, only time will tell ;]

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by beez7777

u mean it will be good with no g4?

billy, do you mean to say that something w/o a g4 is bad?

oops, looks like i'm deviating from the subject, as usual:)

oh well, lets recover this. i think, no make that feel, that if they do release a new ibook at mwsf, it will be all widescreen. that sems to be the way that their going. I also, i could see them going with "fake" ddr, a-la xserve, but then again, that may not be true, or only be reserved for a high end model. i do not see bluetooth, as it is really still a cool, but useless protocol. i do see a matte case, though, maybe with a smooth plastic around the screen, like in the iMac. Also, i could see them going with a g4 MAYBE, even though that my drive up the price. That would leave the g3, with it's many legs to stand on, to run as an eBook(?) model, looking and optioned like a current iBook.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: 13" iBook

Originally posted by wsteineker
I for one am absolutely in love with the curent iBook form factor, but I would be thrilled with a 13" screen in the current 12" case. Such a cool idea! As for everything else, all I really want is a video bump (maybe to a Radeon 32 mb card) and a processor speed bump. A G4 would be nice, but it's not necessary to sell the line. Still, an iBook with a 13" screen, 32mb video system, and a G4 running around 800 MHz sounds a whole lot like a TiBook. The only way any of this is going to happen is if the TiBooks get a big speed bump along with the iBooks at MWSF. Still, I'm buying then no matter what.

Yep...I agree completely.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by crazy_will

billy, do you mean to say that something w/o a g4 is bad?

nope. mac15 said that it would be good w/o a g3, because it would keep the price fairly affordable. i think he means that it would be fairly affordable to leave the g3 in the iBook rather than put in a g4. hence "u mean it would be good with no g4. :)

quinnbk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2002
G4 ibook info?

Went into an apple store and asked a guy working there if he knew anything about G4 ibooks coming out. His response was a VERY official "No. We don't know anything about that. I can't tell you anything about that."

When I pressed a little further, he basically said, "I can tell you I don't know anything or I can lose my job. What would you do?"

Sounds like something's coming soon to me. This RAM sale definitely makes it look probable as well. I'm dying to buy an ibook, but have heard the G3s aren't so good with OS X. That, plus an upgrade seemingly soon - I'm waiting. Hurry up, Apple.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: G4 ibook info?

Originally posted by quinnbk
Went into an apple store and asked a guy working there if he knew anything about G4 ibooks coming out. His response was a VERY official "No. We don't know anything about that. I can't tell you anything about that."

When I pressed a little further, he basically said, "I can tell you I don't know anything or I can lose my job. What would you do?"

Sounds like something's coming soon to me. This RAM sale definitely makes it look probable as well. I'm dying to buy an ibook, but have heard the G3s aren't so good with OS X. That, plus an upgrade seemingly soon - I'm waiting. Hurry up, Apple.

G3s run OS X just fine, even with 192 RAM, like my 500MHz iBook has. There isn't even that bad a slowdown until about 5 or 6 apps are open.

gambit

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2002
Turkey
I was thinking

They are proabably gonna put G4's in the iBooks in January cause in January they are gonna go OSX only right? It makes perfect sense after you think of it that way.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: I was thinking

Originally posted by gambit
They are proabably gonna put G4's in the iBooks in January cause in January they are gonna go OSX only right? It makes perfect sense after you think of it that way.

errrr.... the g3 ibooks are shipping w/ osx now.

i thought of it your way and i'm sorry to say it did not make perfect sense to me.

sorry.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: G4 ibook info?

Originally posted by quinnbk

LMAO ;)

apple makes great gear and my ibook is my favorite computer

...but the apple guy should have said the truth..."if we come out with a g4 ibook in january 2003, the pc world will still be light years ahead of us and while the g4 in the ibook will still not be 1 ghz, the wintel world will already have 3 ghz laptops in your local computer superstore"

;) :p :eek: :D

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Re: Re: G4 ibook info?

Originally posted by GeeYouEye

G3s run OS X just fine, even with 192 RAM, like my 500MHz iBook has. There isn't even that bad a slowdown until about 5 or 6 apps are open.

it makes sense to me, my G3 would be too slow for os x (i use 9).

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Re: Re: G4 ibook info?

Originally posted by GeeYouEye

I have 192 RAM 300Mhz on my ibook, it would be very slow on X.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Next rev. will be 800!

The mainboard of the current iBooks supports clock speeds up to 800Mhz. This is what we will see shortly.

Putting in a G4 means redesigning the whole thing from the ground up. BTW, the G3 runs OS X fine, just that the old machines "feel" slow without QE support. I, too, would love to see a 13" screen in the current casing, and improved graphics performance. (I still got the ATI Rage M3 8MB in my 600 MHz combo iBook.)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: Re: G4 ibook info?

Originally posted by ilikeiBook

I have 192 RAM 300Mhz on my ibook, it would be very slow on X.

same here with my 300 mhz ibook maxed out at 160 MB of RAM

to run os x, i would have to get the latest ibook at the very least running the g3fx processor with 512k level 2 cache

and i would have at least 384 MB of RAM and preferably much more like 640 MB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.