Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Desperately need opinion on possibility of new iBooks! I need a laptop but am willing to wait until January if new iBooks are on the horizon. I won't wait till June or July of '03, however. Do you think it's likely that we will see new books soon or not? Thanks.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
6 months is not unreasonable - that would make it March. But my guess is you'll see an upgrade sooner than that.

D

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I'm in the same boat. Of course, I'd love to own a 1GHz Ti, but I don't really need that much power out of a portable. A speedier iBook would be great!

I've been itching to play with Airport and (eventually) Rendezvous while using my 533 desktop as a server.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
16 Weeks till MWSF...

Heh when you say it like that it doesn't sound all that far off at all. Hey, not that it's a lock we will see updates to the iBooks @ SF and who knows we could see updates before then... Oct? Nov?? Guessing is a total crap-shoot.

heck going into the weeks before MWNY everyone was SO SURE the PowerMacs would be updated... They weren't... then one month later... they were (not a great update but they were updated).

Fact is you can't base your buying habbits on rumors... You'll be no better off and just drive youself crazy.

Second guessing Apple HW/SW releases? You'd have better luck playing LOTTO. :D

Dave

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by DaveGee
16 Weeks till MWSF...

Heh when you say it like that it doesn't sound all that far off at all. Hey, not that it's a lock we will see updates to the iBooks @ SF and who knows we could see updates before then... Oct? Nov?? Guessing is a total crap-shoot.

heck going into the weeks before MWNY everyone was SO SURE the PowerMacs would be updated... They weren't... then one month later... they were (not a great update but they were updated).

Fact is you can't base your buying habbits on rumors... You'll be no better off and just drive youself crazy.

Second guessing Apple HW/SW releases? You'd have better luck playing LOTTO. :D

Dave
i know it's sarcasm but guessing what apple is going to do isn't THAT hard...add a little to the mhz of current systems, maybe upgrade a few minor things here and there and VOILA next revision...altho i will say nobody knows when a brand NEW product is coming out or what it will be.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: New iBooks???!!!

Originally posted by MLW
Desperately need opinion on possibility of new iBooks! I need a laptop but am willing to wait until January if new iBooks are on the horizon. I won't wait till June or July of '03, however. Do you think it's likely that we will see new books soon or not? Thanks.

ibooks will get some really needed boosts, but probably not a g4 processor, but it's worth the wait until january of 2003 to find out

if ibook does not get g4, it will definitely get more speed, RAM, and hard disk space and perhaps a beefier video card, and more level 2 cache...overall, a pretty great machine for the money

i am also waiting for the new or upped ibook in january '03

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
F waiting... the 12" iBook is dope. I'm sure the next one will be fly as well...but the 12" is a classic.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by JSRockit
F waiting... the 12" iBook is dope. I'm sure the next one will be fly as well...but the 12" is a classic.

4.9 lbs...that is hard to beat...unless we go for 3.9 lbs...dream on, jef:p

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I'm planning on getting the next revision of iBooks also. The Bluetooth would be nice, I'm hoping for a DVD drive in the low end model.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Yes...the low-end model should no longer have just a CD-ROM drive...that is pathetic...though I think a CD-RW is more important than a DVD drive... then again...internal DVD drives are cool for people who travel.

I'm gonna get a 12"-er soon and then get the newer TiBook or iBook whenever they are revised.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
If there is anything they need to change in the case design, it's the hinges. The hinges on the current iBook suck! My iBook squeaks so bad everytime I open it, so I sent it off to Apple to have it fixed. I got it back, and everything was fine for 2 weeks, then it started doing it again, only this time it was 2 times louder! I sent it off again, this time they sent it back and said nothing could be done. They need to make the iBook hinge in the corners, and eliminate the current middle hinge. I'd also like to see a plastic case material that doesn't scratch so easily. Mine has scuff marks all over the top, and they are just from when I glide my fingernail over it. Don't get me wrong, I love my iBook, but it needs some major physical upgrades.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
The 12.1" iBook is the best value in portable computing there is, $ for feature-wise. Unbelievable buy that you actually AREN'T paying the "Apple premium" price for--a true bargain.

The form factor is great. The case material should be more scratch-resistant (more like a Pismo) and it should ship with a Combo Drive as its base optical drive (people need to burn CDs and students love watching DVDs). The hinge issue should be addressed in their next cosmetic design upgrade.

They should NOT immediately go G4 due to power and heat issues. Why should they? The software that really takes full advantage of AltiVec is seldom used by the iBook customer, and IBM can probably provide a 1 ghz G3 that would scream along nicely and still keep the long battery life iBooks are known for. The video card, however, should be upgraded to at least the 7500.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by D*I*S_Frontman
The 12.1" iBook is the best value in portable computing there is, $ for feature-wise. Unbelievable buy that you actually AREN'T paying the "Apple premium" price for--a true bargain.

The form factor is great. The case material should be more scratch-resistant (more like a Pismo) and it should ship with a Combo Drive as its base optical drive (people need to burn CDs and students love watching DVDs). The hinge issue should be addressed in their next cosmetic design upgrade.

They should NOT immediately go G4 due to power and heat issues. Why should they? The software that really takes full advantage of AltiVec is seldom used by the iBook customer, and IBM can probably provide a 1 ghz G3 that would scream along nicely and still keep the long battery life iBooks are known for. The video card, however, should be upgraded to at least the 7500.

I agree with this post 100%... a 1Ghz G3 would be fantastic, 32MB VRAM, Combo Drive or at least CD-RW drive in the low-end at $1199.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by JSRockit

I agree with this post 100%... a 1Ghz G3 would be fantastic, 32MB VRAM, Combo Drive or at least CD-RW drive in the low-end at $1199.

...and a G3 ibook with cd-rom for $1099 or even less:D

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Since Apple made a big deal about doing away with CRTs, why not do the same for CD-ROMs? It would be a simple matter since only the iBook even uses them now.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Does anyone expect to see updated specs before January? If so, why? I am wondering if Apple will slap more VRAM and a faster G3 into the 12" iBook before January. Seems it could happen within the next 2 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.