Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Running iOS 14 PB6 and was curious what this new icon meant in CarPlay. FWIW, my phone was connected wirelessly to my BMW.

IMG_0178.jpeg

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I think it means you're connected to something but not fully routing. I think I've seen it before when experiencing DNS issues.

And +1 for Tame Impala.

Reactions: Sikh and mcvaughan

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Are you using wireless carplay? If so the car and phone use the WiFi to communicate but it cant use the WiFi for internet. Got that the phone relies on its cellular connection.

As you have a BWM I am assuming this is the case. The way the WiFi works is the same on the aftermarket wireless carplay dongles. I ‘ seen the phones WiFi reflected in the carplay screen before though.

Reactions: mcvaughan

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Why does the bottom left on-screen button have the grid of icons rather than allowing you to view the split-view dashboard that was introduced in iOS13?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why does the bottom left on-screen button have the grid of icons rather than allowing you to view the split-view dashboard that was introduced in iOS13?
Doesn't it switch? You can press that to go to the app launcher where it would switch to the dashboard icon to go to the dashboard.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

It's a toggle...
  • when the CarPlay screen is displaying the icon grid, the home button shows the dashboard view
  • when the CarPlay screen is displaying the dashboard view, the home button shows the icon view
  • when the CarPlay screen is displaying an app (Music, Map, etc), the home button shows the icon view
You can also switch between dashboard view and icon view by swiping the screen... Swipe all the way to the right to see the dashboard view... swiping the screen left takes you to the icon view... and continue swiping left to view additional pages of icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.