Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rstroud

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2004
Look how well it runs solitare and wordpad! No noticable delay! At 1.4 ghz! For only $23. I'll believe it when someone purchases it and shows us it actually works. CherryOS anyone?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Research before you spend money based on a screenshot:

No address, company name or phone number on the website. No copyright statement (!) on the site. No terms and conditions of sale. Yer buying a pig in a poke, here.

Registrant: iemulator.com
I2N Internet Services Inc.
412 West 53 Street
New York NY 10045
US
212-554-1219
Domain Name: IEMULATOR.COM
Administrative Contact:
Internet Services Inc. I2N info@applebuzz.com
Record created on 10-17-2004

I2N Internet Services Inc. does not come up with a phone number in the New York listings. A reverse address lookup does not show any listing for 412 W 53rd St. A reverse phone number lookup does not show any listing for 212-554-1219. The ZIP code matches NYC, alright.
"I2N Internet Services" has no Google hits other than one news entry saying "New PC Emulator for Mac OSX - Actually?".

The payment screen has no information, it is just a payment processor 2Checkout.com

The package you receive by download includes "a DOS operating system" - It won't be MS-DOS unless it's pirated. DR-DOS or PC-DOS?

Press releases are on PRWeb.com, a free posting service. In other words, they have as much authority as a release appearing in a newsgroup or a blog. The October press release is in the name of I2N and Wireless Intelligence, Inc. Contact information on the press release is "Richard Peters
877-712-9034" - this number has a recorded message from iEmulator, which hasn't been updated since October. The December press release changes the company name to iEmulator.com

Did you watch the movie?
"WordPad - a typical productivity application. You can even select text and change the size and colour" LOL. It clearly shows the QEMU title in the window QEMU: freeware CPU emulator http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
QEMU coincidentally released its OSX port with version 0.6.0. (ref: iEmulator, first version out of beta named 1.6.0)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
QEMU is neat and all, but it can barely emulate an x86 system on real x86 hardware. I'd hate to see how it runs on a PPC...

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
stcanard said:
And, by an amazing coincidence, QEMU just happens to include a FreeDOS image...
The iEmulator site admits it's built on top of qemu. What's the big deal here, hm?

From the FAQ:
Is iEmulator based on the BOCHS emulator?
No! BOCHS is a fantastic, flexible effort, but we found it to be too slow to be "day-to-day usable" on the majority of hardware we tested with. In all of the tests we've tried, our solution, based on the powerful QEMU codebase, runs significantly quicker! Please note that QEMU is a trademark of Fabrice Bellard.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
brap said:
The iEmulator site admits it's built on top of qemu. What's the big deal here, hm?

From the FAQ:

If that is true, and they abide by the license, then absolutely nothing.

I have no interest in the product, and haven't checked the site out. By the tone of previous comments I got the impression other people felt something shady was going on.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
So has anyone actually used this yet?

Or is everyone using QemuX? (Which is horribly buggy on my Powerbook, at least)

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
All I can say is it probably won't run better then Virtual PC 7. . . At a price that cheap im sure its even inferior to VPC7.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
you know, ive been reading around of people who have iEmulator.... some people are getting up into the 700-800mhz range on a G4.... but I dont necessarly know if they are actually getting that speed...

im only getting like, 200mhz on VPC7

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
JeDiBoYTJ said:
you know, ive been reading around of people who have iEmulator.... some people are getting up into the 700-800mhz range on a G4.... but I dont necessarly know if they are actually getting that speed...

im only getting like, 200mhz on VPC7

If they're using QEMU as the base, not a hope. Closer to 50MHz if they're lucky.

I did a Win 98 install on QEMU about 6 months ago and it too 48 hours. Once you go to use it, it's better, but still nowhere close to VPC7.

Still, it is a very impressive piece of work.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
stcanard said:
If they're using QEMU as the base, not a hope. Closer to 50MHz if they're lucky.

I did a Win 98 install on QEMU about 6 months ago and it too 48 hours. Once you go to use it, it's better, but still nowhere close to VPC7.

Still, it is a very impressive piece of work.
I grabbed QemuX a couple of weeks back, and after working out the "quirks" got a Win98 install in, ooh, about 4.5 hours. It's still not lightning fast, but damn good for a freeware emu. Doesn't support savestates, though, which is a pain.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
While on the subject of non-VPC x86 emulators...

http://www.lismoresystems.com/

This company has had an x86 emulator for a while now (for pre-OS X systems) called Blue Label Power Emulator. Their new Guest PC app is supposed to be a newer version built for OS X.

I tried BLPE on OS 9 a long time ago, so I don't remember much about it. I'm not sure if I even got it to work.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Still no company address on the iEmulator website. I still have the same reservations about sending money to an unknown vendor. Especially without knowing what value they bring to the table beyond the freeware its based on.

Note that in their FAQ they say 200 MHz (under Windows) - 550 MHz (under DOS) Pentium (not P3 or P4). You can take for granted this is best-case scenario.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Sounds like VPC is still the best by a long shot (but still not great). Currently on my iBook G3/900 VPC gives me a 686 proc/396 mhz. Sounds a little better than the numbers that anyone is getting on QEMU.

thedoc1111

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
It works, and it is just usable (on a fast system), but it is not a complicated app to write at all - basically just a nice RealBasic frontend to qemu. Amazingly, despite qemu's shockingness on x86/x86 virtualisation, its PPC emulation is quite good?? Don't know what happened there ;)

Mike

kronos2611

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
well I've just had a quick play with QEMU for the first time and I'm quite impressed. For a free piece of software it's quite polished and seems fairly stable. speed is definately not one of it's plus points though - linux reports a 38Mhz CPU on my 1.8Ghz dual G5 :) It is slugish, but workable for basic tasks. I haven't used VPC 7 yet but VPC 6 on my old G4 always performed quite well so in the speed stakes I would suspect that VPC blasts QEMU out of the water - but VPC's not free....

I iEmulator has done nothing to the base QEMU package then I suspect all it's adding is a better UI - personally I'd rather stick commandline or use QemuX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.