Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Hello, recently I have purchased a new iMac 27' 2017 with 1TB SSD.

The weird thing is that I have noticed the SSD is connected through SATA interface:

fu840h.png

As far as I know, iMac SSDs are supposed to be PCIe, correct?

The speed tests shows slows performance compared to what they are supposed to be:
23rlhz7.png

iMac SSD speed should be around ~2300 MB/s for read and ~2000 MB/s for write.

I'm missing something or should I get it checked?

Also when I click on PCI and NVMexpress in the Hardware section, it says:
This computer doesn’t contain any PCI cards or devices. If you installed or connected a PCI card or device, make sure it is properly installed.

Last edited:

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
The Mac is definitely not “new.” Looks like your Mac has an aftermarket crucial MX300 SSD installed - this is a 2.5” ssd so does use the SATA connection. As this is not an official Apple SSD you may also no longer have a warranty.

mjoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
The Mac is definitely not “new.” Looks like your Mac has an aftermarket crucial MX300 SSD installed - this is a 2.5” ssd so does use the SATA connection. As this is not an official Apple SSD you may also no longer have a warranty.

That's so strange. How come I'm getting an after market SSD for a new Mac?

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Here's crucial's page on the drive:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct1050mx300ssd1

CT1050MX300SSD1

• Brand: Crucial
  • Form Factor: 2.5-inch internal SSD
  • Total Capacity: 1TB
  • Warranty: Limited 3-year
  • Specs: 1TB 2.5-inch internal SSD • SATA 6.0Gb/s • 530 MB/s Read, 510 MB/s Write
  • Series: MX300
  • Product Line: Client SSD
  • Interface: SATA 6.0Gb/s

jardine6141

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011

The weird thing is that I have noticed the SSD is connected through SATA interface:

wlad6g.png

fu840h.png

The speed tests shows slows performance compared to what they are supposed to be:
23rlhz7.png

This computer doesn’t contain any PCI cards or devices. If you installed or connected a PCI card or device, make sure it is properly installed.

wlad6g.png

fu840h.png

23rlhz7.png

[doublepost=1518370043][/doublepost]hi have you tried enabling trim? terminal sudo trimforce enable,

mjoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Here's crucial's page on the drive:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct1050mx300ssd1

CT1050MX300SSD1

• Brand: Crucial
  • Form Factor: 2.5-inch internal SSD
  • Total Capacity: 1TB
  • Warranty: Limited 3-year
  • Specs: 1TB 2.5-inch internal SSD • SATA 6.0Gb/s • 530 MB/s Read, 510 MB/s Write
  • Series: MX300
  • Product Line: Client SSD
  • Interface: SATA 6.0Gb/s

It seems like I have to get back to the shop for a replacement.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Just to confirm: I have an iMac 27", 4.2GHz i7, Radeon Pro 580 8GB, 1TB SSD and:
  • The SATA/SATA Express section on System Report is empty.
  • The SSD shows up in the NVMExpress section, model: APPLE SSD SM1024L
Also, 24GB RAM means that it was bought from Apple as an 8GB model and has had 16GB of third-party RAM installed - popular, because last time I looked that cost less than getting a 16GB model from Apple. Frankly, that's not a technical concern, but the dealer should have made it clear what you were getting.

It seems like I have to get back to the shop for a replacement.

If it was sold "as new" and at full price, absolutely! The Apple SSD is faster (and more expensive) than the Crucial one you have, and officially supports TRIM (which will affect performance in the long run). You can force TRIM support on the Crucial (someone already posted the command) but that comes with an "at your own risk" disclaimer. The RAM upgrade is reasonable, but that SSD is no way equivalent to the Apple SSD - and should have saved you several hundred bucks off the Apple price.

Reactions: jerwin

mjoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Just to confirm: I have an iMac 27", 4.2GHz i7, Radeon Pro 580 8GB, 1TB SSD and:
  • The SATA/SATA Express section on System Report is empty.
  • The SSD shows up in the NVMExpress section, model: APPLE SSD SM1024L
Also, 24GB RAM means that it was bought from Apple as an 8GB model and has had 16GB of third-party RAM installed - popular, because last time I looked that cost less than getting a 16GB model from Apple. Frankly, that's not a technical concern, but the dealer should have made it clear what you were getting.

If it was sold "as new" and at full price, absolutely! The Apple SSD is faster (and more expensive) than the Crucial one you have, and officially supports TRIM (which will affect performance in the long run). You can force TRIM support on the Crucial (someone already posted the command) but that comes with an "at your own risk" disclaimer. The RAM upgrade is reasonable, but that SSD is no way equivalent to the Apple SSD - and should have saved you several hundred bucks off the Apple price.

Actually it's the opposite in my iMac. the SATA/SATA Express shows as SSD and the NVMExpress shows empty.

Regarding the RAM, I have upgraded it my self. It originally came in 8 GB and I got an extra 16 GB. (No issues here)

The thing is, the cost of my iMac is exact same as the Apple price. Good thing I have noticed this early, I'm going to replace it.

Thank you for your informative respond!
[doublepost=1518373836][/doublepost]
In the states, upgrading from the stock drive to the 1 TB SSD costs $600...

I know! But you're going to gain a whole lot of performance boost.

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
... Yes, this is a very strange thing indeed.
AFAIK, Apple doesn't sell this kind of machine. And there's been serious work inside that iMac.
Where is supposed to be the original Apple-special PCI-e blade? It must be a replaced FusionDisc...
(...That's not a simple mistake in stock naming... Looks like a strangely sophisticated scam). :(

Last edited:

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
You answered your own question. It’s not new.
Many resellers are authorized to sell Apple products. For instance, Microcenter is an authorized reseller.
[doublepost=1518374879][/doublepost]
I know! But you're going to gain a whole lot of performance boost.

yes. I suppose that if they told you-- for 250 florins you can have a upgrade to a fully warrantied third party SSD, and for 600 florins you can have the much faster Apple PCIx4 SSD blade (that's featured in al the benchmarks, reviews, and ad copy), that might be fair. But it needs to be fully disclosed.

narcolpetic-haze

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
A similar thing happened to my sister. Some years ago here in Australia, before Apple stores were everywhere, she bought a 'brand new' Macbook Pro from an 'authorised' re-seller called Next Byte (who are no longer in business btw).

About a year later she had some issues and took it to an Apple store, where they refused to touch it because after opening it up they said had been user upgraded with non-apple ram. So she was stuck. She thought it was brand new (which it was kinda), but the shop had opened it up and installed more non-apple specific ram without explaining this.

crouchingtiger

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2004
This clearly seems like a scam. 1TB blade SSD was removed and a much cheaper 1TB SATA drive installed. Store sells blade drive on eBay and pockets the ~$500 difference in retail value.

Reactions: nihil0

Spoddles

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
Whilst this thread is a year old I thought I might just add... I am a consultant and reseller myself and I routinely offer an Apple 8GB and third party 16GB option thereby giving them better value for money and saving them some $. It's a good way of winning business over the Apple Store nearby and suits both me and my customer as well. 24GB is a sweet spot for most Mac users although video and high end image editors will likely start at 32GB. I never, however, touch the internals of the device so as to never void Apple's warranty. As previously mentioned too, a 24GB solution like this is quite common so if one ever sees whilst purchasing it, you can knowledgeably say to them "I see you are using third party RAM. Any chance of a discount", assuming they haven't already done that. Honest resellers can generally provide a much more informed and complete solution and a closer post-sale relationship than Apple Store staff can, and also supply equipment that Apple can't provide as well as offering additional, and full on-site services. Keeping it all in the one family has its benefits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.