Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krazzix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Netherlands
I got the brand new 2020 iMac for a few weeks now, and besides the graphical glitch most 5700XT have, I also have an issue with bluetooth. Sometimes, seemingly random, the bluetooth stops working at all. So my mouse and keyboard stop working. After about 30 seconds, it turns back on. When it turns back on, I can see the bluetooth icon in the upper right corner change, where the dots disappear and then reappear.

It has happened something like 5 times now. It's not a major issue, but very annoying when it happens. Does anyone else experience this?

DamonOrl

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2020
I had it stop working the first time I powered it up. I didn’t notice the dots though. I have had an issue, upon waking from sleep where it’s searching for the mouse even though the mouse is connected and usable. That’s happened twice In a row now upon waking from sleep. The last time my Apple Watch wouldn’t unlock the iMac due to a “weak WiFi signal”. Once I killed the bluetooth app in the dock, the other time I did a reboot, both times the connection was steady after that.
We are both probably seeing a firmware or software bug that will hopefully be fixed in an upcoming update.

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
I see the Magic Trackpad disconnect and reconnect at times with a splash screen coming up, have not seen that with the Magic Keyboard--will look to see if the dots change. But...my 2014 iMac with a different Magic Trackpad did the same thing, so...could be the trackpad, not the iMac?

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
If you hold down the option key when you click on the BT icon on the top right, you'll be able to see the actual RSSI signal strength reading when you hover over the device. Higher than -60 dBm (higher = closer to 0) is supposed to be good strength.

Reactions: DamonOrl

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
I'm having the same problem with my new 2020 27" iMac! Big Sur 11.2.3. I have so far tried resetting SMC and now just reset the bluetooth module like suggested. I have had this happen with both the Apple Keyboard and Mouse and also my Keycron K1 and Logitech MX Master 3.

I will hold off on disabling handoff for now, but if the issues continue that will be the next thing I try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.