Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this. Just got my new iMac and I've been doing the usual software updates, trying to download firefox etc.

Anyway, the Software Updates fail after starting and d/loading a small bit of it. The error is a timeout one. The same thing happens when trying to d/l something in Safari.

I'm connecting via Airport to a network that I know works fine for both PCs & Macs.

So, any ideas what could be wrong???

Thanks,

Mike.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
ascender said:
Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this. Just got my new iMac and I've been doing the usual software updates, trying to download firefox etc.

Anyway, the Software Updates fail after starting and d/loading a small bit of it. The error is a timeout one. The same thing happens when trying to d/l something in Safari.

I'm connecting via Airport to a network that I know works fine for both PCs & Macs.

So, any ideas what could be wrong???

Thanks,

Mike.
Might be a loose wireless card. Open up your iMac, and reseat the airport card, and make sure the wire is plugged in nicely and isn't wiggling loose. Are you close enough to your wireless access point? Which wireless access point is it? Have you tried taking it close enough to the router so you can use a wire to connect it?

Have you repaired permissions. Look for it here on the site.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I gave up last night but have now moved the iMac next to the Netgear wireless router. Still the same problems with the Airport, but the Ethernet port works fine. So at least I've been able to get all the software updates sorted out.

Tried the Airport connection again this morning and its still flaky. If I start downloading something, the counter starts at 70/80Kbps then just counts down almost right away to about 2/3Kbps before it crashes out.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Check that you have entered the DNS server ip addresses in the tcp/ip pane of the network settings dialog in System Preferences.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
It's an airport problem with 3rd party routers, you've got to install the latest updates for it to work right.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Remind you:

Mobile phones, wireless mice, bluetooth equipment (headsets, mice etc) microwaves etc all cause severe problems for Airport if powered up and working.

Might be a generator or powerplug transformer between you and the airport base station.

Just stuff to exclude really.

.. RedTomato ..

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
My iMac and iBook are now both updated with the same version of OS X and thei respective updates. iBook works a treat with my NetGear wireless router from anywhere in the house, but the iMac is still not working.

Location of the iMac doesn't make a difference as I've had the iMac right next to the router with no other devices of any sort near it and its still knackered. Very disappointing as its the first time i've ever had any sort of hassle with a new Mac product.

I guess I should give Apple a call now?

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
ascender said:
Yip, have configured my router ip as the DNS addy.
Your router's ip address is the gateway. The DNS ip addresses are provided by your isp and are nothing to do with the ip address of your router. Look on the support area of your isp's web site for the setup info.
Just for example, your routers ip address might be something like 192.168.1.5.
The DNS server address could be something like 212.74.112.66 (you might have 2 similar addresses to type in. These are the addresses of the servers which contain all the lookup tables, so when you type in eBay.com the server translates it to the correct ip address.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Its most likely a Airport card problem. Have you opened the case and reseated the airport card? Call Apple up on the phone, they will replace either the airport card, or get you a new iMac if they find that it is a problem with the mac. Do you have any other wireless routers near by that you can connect too?

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
stevep said:
Your router's ip address is the gateway. The DNS ip addresses are provided by your isp and are nothing to do with the ip address of your router. Look on the support area of your isp's web site for the setup info.
Just for example, your routers ip address might be something like 192.168.1.5.
The DNS server address could be something like 212.74.112.66 (you might have 2 similar addresses to type in. These are the addresses of the servers which contain all the lookup tables, so when you type in eBay.com the server translates it to the correct ip address.

No, I've configured my DNS IP on the iMac to be the IP of the router as the router gets the DNS info from my ISP when it logs on. Then the iMac just sends its DNS requests via the router.

Anyway, the FE connection is working a treat and it has the same DHCP info as the Wireless one.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
ascender said:
No, I've configured my DNS IP on the iMac to be the IP of the router as the router gets the DNS info from my ISP when it logs on. Then the iMac just sends its DNS requests via the router.
Anyway, the FE connection is working a treat and it has the same DHCP info as the Wireless one.
OK, you've got me thinking now. You know the problem is with your computer and not the network. You also know that an ethernet connection works. You should also have found out by now whether your Airport card actually works. Can you connect wirelessly to other machines on the network (try a Ping test from a Terminal window- it should look something like this:
Last login: Fri Dec 30 09:39:28 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
mini:~ srp$ ping -c3 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.993 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.673 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0.677 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.673/0.781/0.993/0.150 ms
mini:~ srp$

Relating to the DNS configuration, I don't know what model Netgear you have, but it could be that either the Airport card or the Netgear doesn't support DNS relay or auto-discovery of DNS servers, in which case you'd need to enter them in Network Preferences instead of your routers ip address.
Finally, (if all else fails!)Netgear have a good support page http://www.netgear.co.uk/product_support.php.
I hope these suggestions don't come across as patronising - for all I know you could be a network expert. Let us know how you get on.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. Its not patronising at all, I work in IT and I know that you have to approach things as if the person knows nothing. For the record I do design networks for a living but as I've never had a problem with a Mac before, thought I'd ask here.

Hard-coding the DNS servers didn't make a difference and I have a 12" iBook which was working perfectly, so I was able to use that to compare settings and stuff.

So, I dropped the Mac off to my local service centre last week and this morning picked it back up as they've not yet even looked at it. I'd logged a call with Apple support and passed the ticket number on, so was told it would be a fairly quick turnaround. Latest estimate was 7-10 days from it being looked at, which, with all due respect is a bit of a joke. So I'm going to return the whole unit to Apple today for a refund as I can't be without it for that long.

Bit disappointing, but there you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.