Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marly53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
Ok I know it is only day 2 after the new purchase of the IMac with 8 gb ram but it is running so slow. I have uploaded photoshop, Lightroom etc and Microsoft word but it is slower than my MacBook Pro. I am wondering whether it just needs adjusting or should I be taking it back to John Lewis immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:

komatta

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
[doublepost=1516261518][/doublepost]Ok I know it is only day 2 after the new purchase of the IMac with 8 gb ram but it is running so slow. I have uploaded photoshop, Lightroom etc and Microsoft word but it is slower than my MacBook Pro. I am wondering whether it just needs adjusting or should I be taking it back to John Lewis immediately.
Does your imac have an SSD? Or the fusion drive? If the latter, that's probably why it feels slower. You can check in activity monitor to see how much RAM you're using btw.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
[doublepost=1516261518][/doublepost]Ok I know it is only day 2 after the new purchase of the IMac with 8 gb ram but it is running so slow. I have uploaded photoshop, Lightroom etc and Microsoft word but it is slower than my MacBook Pro. I am wondering whether it just needs adjusting or should I be taking it back to John Lewis immediately.

Does your iMac have an HDD?? The difference is almost certainly not having a decent ssd installed the HDD or 1TB fusion drives are very slow for modern computing and you really don’t want any mac without at least the 128gb ssd found in the 2TB fusion and a pure ssd is a much better option. John Lewis only supply standard configurations so you may need to order with an ssd upgrade or a 2TB fusion from Apple to get what you want.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
this thread was created out of an old unrelated post and moved to the correct forum.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The limitation is certainly in the RAM amount and possibly spinning hard drives. If you buy from John Lewis (and any other retailers including the physical Apple Stores) you're almost certainly getting the Fusion Drive.

If you have an iMac 27" you can upgrade the RAM yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.