Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So I’m looking to buy a new iMac. My old 2012 one has a failing HDD and I’m surprised it even lasted this long.

I tried looking at some YouTube videos but couldn’t really find any on the different upgrade options, and their use and what’d be worth it etc.. I kinda want that 1TB internal SSD. I know I can always hook up an external drive but I’d rather not. I like having an all in one machine. I have tons of music as well and that’s what my old Fusion iMac had and it was perfect. As far as memory and other options I’m kinda lost. Accessories as well looks like there’s so many options there too.

Any advice would be appreciated

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Must have: RAM. At least 16GB. 24GB if you know you need it.

Personal preference: Trackpad.

Your choice:
8 core CPU + 8 core GPU - in which case you need the Ethernet add on (unless you want to just use Wifi)
8 core CPU + 10 core GPU, which includes Ethernet

Colour: Choice which you will regret forever if you get it wrong. :)

You have already decided 1TB SSD.

Have you ruled out Mac Mini (M3 soon) with 27" screen? But that brings many more choices!!

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I have tons of music as well and that’s what my old Fusion iMac had and it was perfect.

Your iMac has an optical audio output

Audio

• Headphone port
    • Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
    • Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
The new iMac does not.
  • 3.5 mm headphone jack with advanced support for high-impedance headphones
If that matters to you? Just so you are aware of this change

jb333

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
Your iMac has an optical audio output

Audio

• Headphone port
    • Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
    • Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
The new iMac does not.
  • 3.5 mm headphone jack with advanced support for high-impedance headphones
If that matters to you? Just so you are aware of this change

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Must have: RAM. At least 16GB. 24GB if you know you need it.

Personal preference: Trackpad.

Your choice:
8 core CPU + 8 core GPU - in which case you need the Ethernet add on (unless you want to just use Wifi)
8 core CPU + 10 core GPU, which includes Ethernet

Colour: Choice which you will regret forever if you get it wrong. :)

You have already decided 1TB SSD.

Have you ruled out Mac Mini (M3 soon) with 27" screen? But that brings many more choices!!
I have not considered a Mac Mini. I figure once I get the monitor, Magic Trackpad etc.. I’m still probably looking at around 1500 right? I will look into it some more but if it isn’t a massive price difference then I’ll prob just go iMac.

8/8 to 8/10 CPU and GPU is this overall how fast it is? Can somebody ELI5 to me the differences? Would going for the 8/10 kinda future proof the machine at least for the next 5 8+ years if it were to last that long?

My last iMac lasted 11 years which is kinda insane, which is I’m leaning iMac

Edit: also in regards to the Trackpad am I seeing this right it’s $50 if I get as an add on but if I buy it later it’s $150?

Last edited:
Reactions: picpicmac

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So I’m looking to buy a new iMac. My old 2012 one has a failing HDD and I’m surprised it even lasted this long.

I tried looking at some YouTube videos but couldn’t really find any on the different upgrade options, and their use and what’d be worth it etc.. I kinda want that 1TB internal SSD. I know I can always hook up an external drive but I’d rather not. I like having an all in one machine. I have tons of music as well and that’s what my old Fusion iMac had and it was perfect. As far as memory and other options I’m kinda lost. Accessories as well looks like there’s so many options there too.

The 2-port iMac that doesn't come with Ethernet is a bad deal (and I say that regardless of whether or not your setup will even make use of the Ethernet port to begin with). It's a slightly different internal design with one fewer fan as well. In fact, the only people that I'd recommend buying a 2-port Apple Silicon iMac are those that find a REALLY good deal for one on eBay. Otherwise, just say no.

Past that, you cannot upgrade the internal storage, so get as much as you can afford (unless your storage strategy relies on servers, cloud, external drives or some combination thereof (again, sounds like you at least want a 1TB SSD, which is a very good idea).

You also cannot upgrade RAM. There's never-ending heated debate on these forums about whether or not 8GB of RAM is fine and those fighting tooth-and-nail on the side of it being fine are generally doing so to defend their own decision not to spend more money. Take that with a Costco pack of salt. Suffice it to say that 16GB is a comfortable minimum, but since you can't upgrade the thing, getting 24GB allows you more headroom as macOS and your applications inevitably bloat and end up using more system RAM. 8GB is not comfortable (though, as those defending that it is will tell you, they don't notice it); the system is constantly paging to disk even on very light casual-user caliber workloads (generally not something that happens with those same loads on 16GB or higher today).

By avoiding the 2-port model of iMac, you're basically eliminating the 8-GPU Core variant of M3. The 2-port version has the 8-Core variant; the 4-port has the 10-Core GPU variant. So, that's effectively one less decision you have to make.

Color is personal preference. The only thing I'll say is that the silver accessories are sold separately; the colored ones are not. (Your only way of acquiring the non-silver ones outside of purchase would be to visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider [not a Genius Bar] and have them order one for you as a stocking part. Do with that information what you will.)

Lastly, I'm much more a fan of the Magic Trackpad than the Magic Mouse, though that is entirely personal preference. And depending on the length of your workspace, the full Touch ID keyboard with 10-key is always nice; but you might be using this on a smaller surface in which case the smaller keyboard may be more sensible. Either way, the Touch ID keyboard is so great that I wouldn't bother with the version that doesn't have it (another reason to skip the 2-port iMac).

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
also in regards to the Trackpad am I seeing this right it’s $50 if I get as an add on but if I buy it later it’s $150?
For me the lower price (AU$70) is for getting Trackpad instead of Mouse. If I want both it is an extra AU$179, which is exactly the same as buying the Trackpad separately.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.