Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cypher3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
HD failed in my PB over the weekend, so I ordered a new one, and installed it. Just after, I put in the software disc to reinstall Mac OS X and it recognizes it and shows it with a red exclamation point and says, "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume." It didnt recognize anything at all until I went to Disk Utility and created a new volume. Im not sure what its called, but its under the name of the hard drive. IE. 37.3 GB WDC and then under that it says Macintosh HD, which is what I named it. What do I have to do to be able to install Mac OS X on here? FYI Its a western digital scorpio drive WD400UE. I need help ASAP.

Thanks,
Ryan

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Since it's new it doesnt have a partition table or anything yet, so you need to format it. (thats why most harddrives come with a cd of sorts to format it the first time; after that you can just format regularly)

Now i'm guessing the cd that came with the drive (in some cases you have to download it, like hd's from frys normaly come "bare") won't run on a mac... So i'm not exactly sure how your supposed to do it as the only "new hd" ive ever formated was on pearpc using darwin... My guess is you'll have to boot darwin and do it trough there.

Edit: About the name, I belive the mac keeps that on rom or something, as I put a bigger drive in my iMac 14gb (previously formated in an ibm) compared to the 6gig that was in it, and it still was named "Macintosh"

Cypher3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
How do I boot Darwin? All I have is the software disk that came with my PB with OS X on it.Cant i format in Disk Utility?

Cypher3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Im not familiar with pearpc or Darwin, do I need to know anything in particular to do this? Or is there another way?

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
I had this error with my PB, and all I did was formatted it again, and rebooted, and then it worked the second time. Not sure what the problem was. Sorry I can't assist you further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.